salad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LOVEMYCHICKS03, Jan 29, 2013.

1. LOVEMYCHICKS03

LOVEMYCHICKS03 Chillin' With My Peeps

so the other day we had chicken salad and just plain salad so I thought hmmm.... lets swich this around so I made a recipe: wood sorrel (opt), clover,chia seeds (opt), mealworms,B.O.S.S. tomatos, berries,and leafy greens

and this is (opt) a small dolop of plain yogurt on top [​IMG]

whoo ever likes this idia post please!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Sounds delicious for chickens.

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    :)

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That sounds like a very good treat. : )

~ Aspen

5. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Sounds good!

6. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    not to gross you all out, but a way back when , when we had the petting zoo and we raised two kidns of those meal worms , i age the small ones. as a matter of fact, til today, poeple who were younger then, and remember this, come up to me with their girl/boyfriends and say, hey, remember when u ate those mealworms....

they werent particularly tasty, but not really gross, the large ones have too many legs moving around, so actually, your salad could be very good for humans also, besides which where my husband comes from fried bugs of various sorts are a gourmet and expensive treat (i ate fried grasshoppers and also some kind of fried beetle, served very spicey.)

so in the human'search for cheap protein, youve just created a new recipe for them...

7. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Aren't mealworms kind of unsanitary?

8. LOVEMYCHICKS03

Yeah (some people are gross no afence)

9. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    and u think your hamburger is? mealworms are raised in bran flakes (thats how we raised them), nothing unsanitary in that. and i ate plenty of bugs dug up from the ground when i was in thailand; hubby's family are poor and they search for their food or hunt it or dig it out. they dont buy it. and folks eat shellfish on the half shell which is way way more dangerous health wise (toxins) , not to mention all the processed food americans seem to eat, so mealworms seem fine to me.

10. LOVEMYCHICKS03

I now how mealworms are raised, I'm going to raise som soon! But eating bugs is actually kinda gross there has been people hoo eat bugs and get diseases! But those are the live ones if you eat freez-dried its actually your adding lots of protein to your body and they have bacon flavored grass hopers
    And I watched these 3 girls on youtube eating them and they said they We're good and I was like o_O what a strange worled we have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by