1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

salatin pen is both in one

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenchap, Jan 7, 2011.

1. chickenchap

chickenchap Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    using the salatin pen it combines both pen and run all in one! [​IMG] it is a economic and great option for meat birds or layers. for more info email me or google it, or read pastures poultry profits- by joel salatin

2. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Joel Salatin takes horribly-disgusting care of his chickens and that "pen" is too small.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For broilers, sure maybe, anyhow it waaaay beats industrial broiler-farm conditions and it works ok.

For layers, I do not think it is right to do that, and it certainly has a buncha problems associated iwth it (as compared to the way most BYCers keep their layers). Although again it is better, in many ways at least, than battery-farm conditions.

Pat

4. chickenchap

Jan 7, 2011
    Actually, to even compare it with factory farms is incorect. first layers were made for grass same as other chickens. Second, the way most byc'ers do it their chickens still enhale harmfull dust that is not and better because they are able to leave for a dirt yard these birds need their nioce fresh forage. you can always e-mail me with questions of for more info.

5. chickenchap

Jan 7, 2011
    In repl to medicine man. joel salatins pens are to small only if they have to many chickens in them. his chickens on his website are visually happy. are yours?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Wait, I'm saying it's BETTER living conditions than factory farming, and you're saying that's "incorrect"?? [​IMG]

first layers were made for grass same as other chickens.

Naturally. They do however spend YEARS in <whatever housing conditions you give them>, not just weeks. Also they must be overwintered.

There are plenty of sources for Salatin-style pens for those who wish to use them and I am certainly not trying to discourage anyone, since for some purposes/goals/tastes they are a pretty reasonable approach IMO. But I think it is very debatable how good a deal it is for layers in particular.

Pat​

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I had to google "salatin pens" didn't know what they were.

What is the difference between a chicken tractor and a Salatin pen? well apart from the obvious lack of an area for the layers to go in and use nest boxes? and why are they called Salatin pens?? Serious questions, I really don't know.

8. chickenchap

Jan 7, 2011
    the difference is that with salatin pens have a built in shelter and are a lot larger. they are called salatin pens because they were invented by joel salatin. please visit his websit, it is www.polyfacefarms.com .

9. chickenchap

Jan 7, 2011
    it is incorrect to compare because they are not even in the same league. what they do at factory farms is just wrong

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    thanks for the link, I never heard of joel Salatin, but from he images I just looked at, it would make more sense to build layers a tractor, they need some where to go in order to lay, but this is my opinion, everyone is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by