1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

saline water for eye........salt and boiled water?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmgirl2477, Jul 15, 2007.

1. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Im pretty sure Ive read this somewhere, but of course, I cant find it. Is it about 3/4tsp boiled into 1gal of water then cooled? Need to try washing out a chicks eye.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I dont' know the correct ratio to mix, I woul djust use regular distilled water if I had to do that.
    Or buy something specifically for the eye, if there is more than just dirt in it....

3. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    would human eye drops be ok? I have bauch & Lomb moisture eyes. Not sure if its dirt or what in the chicks eye. Friends bought them for me yesterday from a not so great home. One of them has a really swollen eye today.

Shannon

4. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    I think contact saline would be okay, just use the rinsing and storage stuff, not the multipupose that also disinfects. Or just eye drops, artificial tears. Normal saline is .09%; I think chickens likely have the same salinity.

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Contact solution would work, as biretta said. It has the right chemistry so its non-irritating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by