Saliva too Thick? food getting stuck

thechooks22

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Queensland, Australia
My hen has had food getting stick at her wind pipe and getting infected i think it may be because her saliva is too think ? But im not sure ....i know that it is the food getting stuck because i have looked down her throat and seen the food on it and the saliva seems to look very think and sticky...they are large silver laced wyandottes , they are feed coarse layer mash but are free ranged and always have fresh water avaliable so i dont know why its getting stuck this hen is having lots of trouble breathing she has had this for about 3 weeks and i feed her through a syringe because she stopped eatting and drinking (porridge with seeds and then water)
And it had started to heal ...then yesterday i let her out to freerange for a few hours and she ate lots and filled her wholecrop up with food and when i checked on it this morning it had a little more in her throat with a few blades of grass stuck as well! I used tweeses and took them out...but how do i stop it from getting stuck in the first place ? I have tryed putting a few drips of oil down, honey, apple cyder vinigar in water, anti biotics ....any help will be apreciated
Thankyou

This is when it was at its worst

Sounds like a crop infection ("sour crop"). Usually yeast but could be bacteria. You're probably going to need an antifungal.

Is the mouth free of plaques? The picture of the food in the mouth looks kind of like canker or yeast plaques but we can't tell without seeing before/after pictures.

I need some help please! One of my one month old turkey poults got out of it's pen some how and my dog got ahold of it and I found a puncture in the baby. It is under it's left wing near it's vent. It is trying to cry out and cannot make a sound. It was kicking it's legs alot but cannot move. I put some neosporin on the wound but I do not know what else to do for it. I gave it some water from a dropper. Is it going to die?
Here is a pic of the wound

You should start a separate thread.

The picture is too blurry to see anything.

Dog bites require antibiotics at the very least. Without them, death is likely. And that's just considering infection not the trauma aspect.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance of death without veterinary care.

Back
Top Bottom