Sally the sultan had lice when i got her. I freaked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by naakte, Sep 12, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I got Sally in trade for a serama plus she paid me 15 dollars. I had never experienced chicken lice before and didnt check her for anything. This has soured me to trade for live chickens again for sure. I thank God I didnt put her with my other chickens right away. an hour after i got her i went out to talk to her and i was holding her and saw bugs on my arms. I didnt know what they were so i ran in and studied online and quickly realized what i had here. I ran to the feed store and got seven dust and perinthin (sp) spray you mix with water. I put sally in a plastic bucket and slouthered her with dog shampoo. I let it set for a good 5 minutes, then rinsed her off and took her in the house and blew dried her. I had her in a solitary pen far from my other coops (thank God). I dusted the pen with the 7 dust liberally. I mixed the perinthin triple strength and sprayed the perimeter of sallys coop. i put Sally on a broad spetrum antibiotic for 7 days (not in the water, i gave it to her with a needless syringe) I treated her orally with ivermectin and also pyrantel pamoate as well. once a week she got a dog shampoo bath for about 6 weeks and i resprayed the perimeter several times during her isolation. Last week I introduced sally to the white crested polish pen and she is doing great.
    during her time alone I felt terrible for her because i know they are social creatures, so every day most of the time twice a day I would go out and pet her and i gave her toys which i never saw her play with. below is a picture of sally in her new pen. I guess I am glad I got her because cant lice and stuff kill chickens and when i called the girl she said she didnt know. I really do love this little bird a lot.

[​IMG]

and her pen maties

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    hahaha I love the roo looking over the top of the castle in teh first pic! Sounds like you are doing everything right. Yes, lice and mites cause a lot of problems for chickens and can lead to death.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Lice are pretty easy to treat, unlike mites. Antibiotics are not needed for a lice infestation. One treatment with Ivermectin pour on will kill the lice.

4. naakte

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Quote:I agree that antibiotics wont kill bugs from the outside, but this chicken was so messed up, I was sure she had stuff inside her i wouldnt want to give to my other chickens. antibiotics and de-wormers ( ivermectin, and pyrantel) were only a precaution.

5. naakte

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Quote:He is my only WCP rooster. the girls beat him up. his crest has been pecked on to the point he looks like he is wearing a jewish hat (what are they called anyway? my stepmom is jewish , ill have to ask her) i use a lot of blu cote on his head [​IMG]

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    your plastic castle is giving me very good future coop ideas...............

We had a mites infestation once, and traded all our interior coop wood for plastic amenities. But what you've got there, all plastic, air cell insulated, makes a lot of sense for chicken keeping. Plus, the cut out windows and doors are adorable for chicken entryways!

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Naakte, beautiful chickens and coop!!! I love Polish!.

Don't worry about lice on your arms, they can't survive on a person, just a chicken. I think you did good treating them right away. Maybe treating them too well, LOL. The Sevin powder would have been enough. It's cheap and works great.

Spraying the premises sounds like a good idea. I doubt you have any lice left!!!!!
    Dust them again in 3 weeks to kill the ones that hatched after treatment.

8. naakte

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    6chickens in St. Charles :

your plastic castle is giving me very good future coop ideas...............

We had a mites infestation once, and traded all our interior coop wood for plastic amenities. But what you've got there, all plastic, air cell insulated, makes a lot of sense for chicken keeping. Plus, the cut out windows and doors are adorable for chicken entryways!

Thank you, but i didn't make the castle. it was a children's play castle that got for 100 bux and i converted it for my ornamental darlings.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by