1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salmon Fav Bantams - Sexing hints at 2 weeks +/- ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Madcap621, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My New Years hatch is 2 weeks, +/- 3 days, & I am looking for hints about sex. Anyone who can help me w/this?? There are 6 Salmon Faverolles, 2 porcelain D'Uccles and a Silver spangled Hamburg - all bantams. Very minor differences in combs, no difference in color yet, the barest hint of a wattle on the SSH, which is ine of the youngest, hatched on the VA/TN state line on the trip home Jan 2 [​IMG] . [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    With the salmon faverolles it should be quite easy to tell sex. Take each chick and pull its wing out and look at the wing feathers. The males should have dark wing feathers and the pullets should have salmon or brown colors in their wings.

Hope that helps,
    Henry

3. Madcap621

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks, Henry, Looks like I have 2 'for sure' pullets, 2 'for sure cockerels' and 2 that could go either way, [​IMG] [​IMG] Can't keep cockerels - wanna trade? [​IMG]

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

What Henry said is true...but with the age of your chicks, I wouldn't be tooooo hasty to get rid of those "for sure" cockerels [​IMG] . I have learned that , sometimes, different bloodlines will feather differently...and sometimes can really fool ya! [​IMG] . I have a pullet that began feathering like my rooster did at the same age. They are from 2 completely different bloodlines. I'm sure glad I didn't get rid of her! [​IMG]

But I'd say that 98% of the time, sexing them by their wing feathers is right on. Mine just had to be in that other 2%. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. Madcap621

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Won't get rid of - promised "right of first refusal" of all cockerels to breeder before the 'cook out' [​IMG] and will probably re-home at Saturday Farmers Mkt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by