Salmon Fav or Light Brahma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fivefowls, Mar 24, 2017.

1. fivefowls

fivefowls Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2017
    Hey Guys, SO I want to pose a question to everyone. I am in the market for a roo and wanted to know what everyone's opinions are. Should I get a salmon salmon faverolle or a light brahma. I currently only have pullets(17) and have the space in the coop for two hens and a roo of whatever breed I decide. I also have two small kids and a wife that isn't all that thrilled about my new poultry fun that me and the kids are having. SO lets do a vote. I can get a giant brhama roo for $30 and a hen I can pick up for pretty cheap. I also am in touch with a wonderful lady here locally that I can get both roo and pullets from in the Salmon faverolle. I like both breeds but am undecided on which to choose. SO I figured I would put it out there.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I've had Faverolles for a decade, but have not had Brahmas so I can't really compare the two for you. Why do you want a rooster and how old are your kids?

3. fivefowls

fivefowls Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2017
    I want to start hatching eggs. My kids are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2, so they are very young

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I like the Faverolles.

Temperament wise, they seem about the same. both have reputations for being docile and pretty tolerant of backyard conditions.

both have feathered legs, something to keep in mind if you have wet, muddy or heavy snowy conditions.

for me, the deciding factor would be color....I don't especially care for white birds, myself. I love the coloring of Faverolles, especially the roosters.

Plus, I'm a sucker for bearded chickens [​IMG]

Either one, though, I would not turn your back on them with your littles. Kiddos of that age are attack magnets for so many roosters. they're fast, noisy, unpredictable and make roosters nervous. Nervous roosters attack first and think things through....well, never, really.

Do you have housing for the chicks you're planning to hatch out? And how about a plan for the statistically 50% cockerels? That's something you should think about before setting that first egg.

5. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    We have a bantam dark Brahma rooster who is our little flock protector. He is a little bit shy, but has never shown signs of aggression to us or his hens. I have personally always loved the striking color of light Brahmas. I think you could probably find a cheaper rooster than $30 if you wanted to. I don't know much about Favourolles, and have never actually seen one before! Whatever you decide, I think that these are both good choices for a nice and protective rooster.

6. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    My personal preference lies with the Salmon Faverolles. They are great with my young girls that are both 3 and not quite a year apart. The Salmon Faverolles roosters are one of the most beautiful birds to look at. They are great flock protectors and great at findind food for the hens. They even have 5 toes on each foot just like you! And they have beards! What is not to like?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by