Salmon Fav roo or pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teep, Aug 15, 2013.

1. teep

teep Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Western Slope, Colorado
    A friend of mine ended up with a couple Salmon Fav roo chicks and I told her I would take them. She sent me some pics and I am really wondering about one of them. I don't see 'roo'....they are usually so easy to sex, but he just seems so light. And no beard. What do you guys think?? He is a hatchery bird, Murray McMurray's, I think. She wanted pullets and I don't want to take him if he ends up being a 'she' since that is what she wanted in the first place! There was just no doubt in my mind when I got my Fav's. But they came from a breeder, so I don't know if there is that much of a difference??[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    How old?

3. teep

teep Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Western Slope, Colorado
    I 'think' they are around 4-5 weeks....

4. teep

teep Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Western Slope, Colorado
    Here's the other pics she sent. The darker one looks roo. I think I am right about the 4-5 weeks age, they don't have any tail feathers yet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Wow, he's really off-color. Did he come from Meyer by any chance?

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    That's one odd-colored Fav baby.. I think cockerel tho.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He/she looks like a she, due to the bright red comb. However, that is very strange coloring for a Salmon Faverolles male!

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Meyer hatchery was dropping chicks this color about 2 years back. I would have thought they'd have cleaned up their genetics by now. :/

9. teep

teep Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Western Slope, Colorado
    So they both look male? I think I'll take them both and if one ends up being a pullet, I will just give her back so she can have her as a cute egg layer. I was pretty sure she told me they came from Murray McMurrays hatchery?? I have never ordered from a hatchery so I am unfamiliar....I just heard horror stories, so I have stuck with breeders. Thank you for your opinions...glad I'm not crazy. I thought they were odd looking for Salmon Fav's too!!

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Do you have a frontal picture of the first one? I believe it's a pullet but would like to see the chest first. Second one is definitely a pullet.

Ugh, hatcheries are really producing some awful Favs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by