Salmon faverole gender

squishychicky

Chirping
Oct 23, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I have this little one, three weeks old. I have read they can be sexed early by feather colour, but I'm not sure about this one. If you want to make a guess on the barred rock that would be great too! Thanks!
IMAG1014.jpg
IMAG0991.jpg
IMAG1003.jpg
IMAG1008.jpg

Barred rock is a boy (spot on head, females don’t have it). Brown one in middle of third pic is female, based on feather development. Salmon faverolle is a little too young but I’m gonna make a guess and say female.
Hmm...these are my barred rocks as 3 week olds, now they are 9 month old hens.
They for sure have the light spot on their heads. I have heard that the females will have yellow legs also? Also the faverolles shown all are now 9 month old hens as well.
BABIES.jpg

For the Faverolles, it's still too early. We can determine gender when, and only when the breast plumage comes in. Black equals cockerel, while light salmon/blonde indicates pullet. :)

As for the Barred Rock (without a view of the comb), coloration so far is quite dark.....which definitely doesn't scream cockerel. Things could still change, however, since only the wings are feathering in.

~Alex

Thanks everyone. Seeing pictures has given me hope at least! I must admit i had written those two off as males due to stance and then suspicious feathers, glad to know the suspicious feathers aren't so suspicious!
The brown is a mixed breed that should hopefully lay olive eggs, i know it's too early but glad to hear a seconding of my girl guess there too!

My guess is she's a she! Looks just like mine when they were that age, and they are hens. I have never had a faverolle roo, so I can't speak from experience about those...

Back
Top Bottom