Salmon Faverolle breeding question! (pic heavy)

NapoleanGoose

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Bishop CA
I have a couple of Faverolles now that I am breeding as a project for FFA (Future Farmers of America). I have four birds now from the Thode Family. The rooster is a banty (too big though) and very colorful. The hens are all fairly large and one is just huge ( All Large Fowl ). The largest hen won Reserve Grand Champion and Champion LF at the county fair. The Rooster won 1st. The other hens werent shown because they are still growing and aren't as well colored. I bred these this year and sold a couple dozen eggs. So far the chicks that have been hatched by other BYC'rs have been too dark. Most of the hens have flecks of black on their necks and black on their wings. I hatched one rooster I think is far too colorful. He has red mixed into his chest, white in most of his beard and white and beige legs. He has great type though and is the biggest fattest chick I've ever had. I'm going to hatch more of my own eggs this fall and get a couple more examples, but I am also going to be hatching birds from other breeders.

What am I looking for to improve my flock? I am thinking I need a lighter rooster and dark hens, and very light hens for the colorful rooster? It's easier to go for pullets or roosters with each right? Like the light roo/dark hens for pullets and dark roo/light hens for cockerels?

Haha, I'm so confused.
roll.png

Here's some photos: (None of them are finished filling out in these pictures)

Rooster

Hens: (The first 3 photos are of the hen who won Champion LF and Reserve Champion of show)

Pullets hatched:

Cockerels Hatched:

What do you think?
I want to breed LF so I may have to give up my rooster as much as I love him to either retirement or another breeder, but I may get bantams if I can find him a girl that would fit him and wouldnt make such red babies. ):

Thank you!

D'Angelo N Va. :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46190_chickens_august_2010_003.jpg yeah, and look at mine also and tell me what you think..

Like I said, I'm probably not the person to be asking to critique your birds. The pixs should be posted on the Faverolle thread. Having said that, I like the width of your birds. The hens' color looks a bit uneven in the front, but type comes first. Has someone been picking their beards out? And what's with the rabbits? Are they Flemish growing out?​

I posted this in the Faverolle thread also.

D'Angelo N Va, a full profile photo of your birds would be nice. I agree that their type is nice. Their beards do look picked at.

Back
Top Bottom