1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salmon Faverolle chick a boy??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EggDropSoup, Sep 17, 2012.

1. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi all--

I ordered baby chicks from My Pet Chicken and got them about a week ago. I paid extra to get all females, but of course I understand that mistakes are made, and My Pet Chicken warns of a 10% failure rate on sexing. HOWEVER, it seems odd that I might have ended up with a male Salmon Faverolle, since that breed is particularly easy to sex. Here is a pic (sorry for the poor quality...my good camera is in another state at the moment!) that clearly shows black feathering on the wings of the chick in question. His sibling has only tan/brownish feathering on her wings and is clearly a female. What say you all? I had been planning on eating any roosters I might have ended up with, but of course I've fallen in love with the little devil. I can't have roosters in the city where I live, but I'm sure I'd have no problem finding him a home. Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    It does look like it might be a boy, but it's a bit too early; it MAY just be a darker pullet.

3. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Hi there! I also ordered a salmon faverolle chick from MPC which arrived last week as well (9/11). Cool. But like you, absolutely no roos. Maybe we can keep in touch and compare how they're doing? Anyway, my faverolle's wing feathers started coming in the next day after arrival and seems to get bigger (longer??) by the day. And I now just noticed that tail feathers seem to be coming in too. Her wing feathers have changed colors within a week's time. At first they were tipped in black. As they started coming in more, they looked like brushstrokes of tan and grey. Today the brushstrokes are more grey, some black, and a tinge or outlines of tan. The black is towards the bottom and base. I will post a pic once I figure out how. At this point, I wish I ordered 2 instead of getting a SLW.

4. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi Peep-a-Boo! :) I ordered 15 chicks from MPC and tried to get all different breeds. I ordered two Salmon Faverolles, and I really, really hope they both turn out to be hens as I think they're very sweet and friendly. How many chicks did you get, total? I'm splitting my order with two other people, but I've agreed to do the majority of the "raising" on my own. Other than the Faverolles, I got Dominiques, White Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, an Ancona, and a Black Copper Marans. I look forward to have a super colorful egg basket!!

5. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Here she is at 7 days old.. I have her tilted a bit, but black is in the bottom part of her wings. The fuzz on her tail has black flecks and starting to look like like tail feathers. [​IMG] I ordered 4 "female" chicks: 2 silkies for my kids, a SLW, and a salmon faverolle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by