1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salmon Faverolle Chick BLUE Lacing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sophiaw00, May 4, 2015.

1. sophiaw00

sophiaw00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Illinois
    I have two salmon faverolle chicks among my small flock of 8. They are 5 weeks old. One of them is very slow in feather development, the other is very fast. April, the fast one, has almost ALL of her feathers. Last night when I checked on them, she was showing signs of feather development on her head. This morning, her head is almost completely feathered. Crazy how they grow so fast!

Anyways, today I was spending time with them outdoors and I noticed April has what appears to be blue lacing on her tail feathers. I didn't think salmon faverolles had blue lacing (or any lacing?) so I wanted to ask here. April is from a hatchery, so she should be purebred. I was so surprised when I saw it that I had to ask if this is normal or not.

I can get pictures if they are needed.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Photos would help. [​IMG]

3. sophiaw00

Apr 27, 2015
    Illinois
    Ok, just ran out and got some of her tail.

Full Body Pic:
    [​IMG]

April's Tail Feathers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this normal on a salmon faverolle?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks normal to me. A lot of hatchery quality Faverolles have strange coloring.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    x2. Plus she is still in juvenile plumage. The odd feathering may not persist into adulthood.

6. sophiaw00

Apr 27, 2015
    Illinois
    Ok thanks. It didn't really matter to me either way. Just thought I'd ask. I actually think it looks kind of cool.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3

8. suchcutenails

suchcutenails Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Good morning! I know this thread is old, but I was curious about what your girl grew up to look like! I have two who are almost 4 weeks who really resemble yours. I am anxious to see what they look like when they grow up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by