Salmon Faverolle Chicks - telling gender - new pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Must Be Losing It, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    AT what age can you start to gender a salmon faverolle and what would you look for?

Julie

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  3. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Thanks for that link. I did take pics of him/her but I'm leaning toward him. Please tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

And here is the wing

[​IMG]

Doesn't look as dark as the photo on the link but still dark.

Julie

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I see some breast feathers being lighter instead of darker, it may be a pullet. However, if this chick is from hatchery, its anyones guess but if it gets more black or very dark feathers on chest and legs, you can bet its a male.

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Looks like a cockerel to me. Just from what I've researched, the cockerels will have very dark wing feathers (practically black) and the pullets have salmon colored wing feathers. Cute little guy! And they're soooo sweet and friendly!

6. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    He acts like a roo if you know what I mean. Sweet though. I'm raising him with some silkies I had hatched. I hatched him from my own salmon faverolles. The dad's feathering is really dark and this chicks is not very dark, almost greyish. That was my only remaining hope. That and that I saw a salmon faverolle pullet once w/ grey feathering mixed in w/ the salmon coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by