Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
1f600.png

My middle DS is raising Salmon Faverolles for his FFA project. He started with 5 eggs and hatched 5 chicks. He knows Salmons can be feather sexed by 10 days old. He has some guesses, but would like a little confirmation or correction to help him. So, here are his chicks and his guess as to male or female.

FEMALE?
FEMALE?
FEMALE?
MALE?
FEMALE?

Last edited:
Faverolles and most other breeds cannot be feather sexed. Feather sexing requires a very specific and uncommon cross of fast feathering male over slow feathering female, and the chicks must be sexed at one day of age.

Purebred Faverolles will begin to show gender specific color at 6-8 weeks of age.

He knows Salmons can be feather sexed by 10 days old.
One may be able to determine gender by wing feather color if you are familiar with the line you have. However, light colored cockerels often can easily look like pullets if you only look at wings. Chest feathers and leg feathering are a better indicator.

Where did the eggs come from?

He knows Salmons can be feather sexed by 10 days old. 

One may be able to determine gender by wing feather color if you are familiar with the line you have. However, light colored cockerels often can easily look like pullets if you only look at wings. Chest feathers and leg feathering are a better indicator.

Where did the eggs come from?

They came from Sawmill, a breeder who relies on their wing feathers for determining gender. He breeds for it. Also, their body feathers haven't grown in just yet.

Faverolles and most other breeds cannot be feather sexed. Feather sexing requires a very specific and uncommon cross of fast feathering male over slow feathering female, and the chicks must be sexed at one day of age.

Purebred Faverolles will begin to show gender specific color at 6-8 weeks of age.

x 2  Queen Misha

Thanks for the heads up. We have tried breeding for that gene in our RIRs with very little success, and bo longer worry about it anymore.
I am not refering to shape or length in these chicks. Salmon Faverolle hens are a light salmon color. Where as the roosters are black and Salmon. Their wing "flight" feathers are noticably different even as chicks, and the cockrels will feather out noticably darker than the pullets, starting in the wings. So, you should be able to determine, with a fair bit of accuracy, the gender of the chicks at an earlier age using the coloration of the wing feathers. This is helpful in determining which chicks to grow out and which to sell/rehome.

The goal of this post was to see if anyone else had an opinion on the current gender guesses. Having an additional unbiased evaluation helps eliminate the emotional attachment most of us chicken raisers get for the chicks we hatch out.

Back
Top Bottom