1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salmon Faverolle chicks... What Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wornoutmomto3, Oct 24, 2016.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    Hello! [​IMG]
    My middle DS is raising Salmon Faverolles for his FFA project. He started with 5 eggs and hatched 5 chicks. He knows Salmons can be feather sexed by 10 days old. He has some guesses, but would like a little confirmation or correction to help him. So, here are his chicks and his guess as to male or female.

[​IMG] FEMALE?
    [​IMG] FEMALE?
    [​IMG] FEMALE?
    [​IMG] MALE?
    [​IMG] FEMALE?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Faverolles and most other breeds cannot be feather sexed. Feather sexing requires a very specific and uncommon cross of fast feathering male over slow feathering female, and the chicks must be sexed at one day of age.

Purebred Faverolles will begin to show gender specific color at 6-8 weeks of age.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    One may be able to determine gender by wing feather color if you are familiar with the line you have. However, light colored cockerels often can easily look like pullets if you only look at wings. Chest feathers and leg feathering are a better indicator.

Where did the eggs come from?

4. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

They came from Sawmill, a breeder who relies on their wing feathers for determining gender. He breeds for it. Also, their body feathers haven't grown in just yet.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Queen Misha

6. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

Thanks for the heads up. We have tried breeding for that gene in our RIRs with very little success, and bo longer worry about it anymore.
    I am not refering to shape or length in these chicks. Salmon Faverolle hens are a light salmon color. Where as the roosters are black and Salmon. Their wing "flight" feathers are noticably different even as chicks, and the cockrels will feather out noticably darker than the pullets, starting in the wings. So, you should be able to determine, with a fair bit of accuracy, the gender of the chicks at an earlier age using the coloration of the wing feathers. This is helpful in determining which chicks to grow out and which to sell/rehome.

The goal of this post was to see if anyone else had an opinion on the current gender guesses. Having an additional unbiased evaluation helps eliminate the emotional attachment most of us chicken raisers get for the chicks we hatch out.

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm leaning towards the same guesses... :)

8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sort of looks like four pullets and a cockerel, like what you thought, but I could be wrong. Love Favs!

~Alex

9. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:
    Thanks, I hope so too.
    How lucky to hatch out such a perfect ratio... It doesn't seem possible. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by