Salmon Faverolle Chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Feb 20, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Update: Looks like 3 males and 3 females.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    None of my Faverolles ever had black except for a tiny bit on the wing tip. I doubt that is an indication of male birds at this early date but rather some that are going to have dark feathers, male or female. I have been seeing pictures of Salmon Faverolles with very dark feathers lately. Those would not really be considered great quality.

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
  4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:We'd love to see pics!
    ~Rebecca

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Okay. Well if they are dark feathers i will still keep the hens and use them for eating eggs, not hatching eggs. I took the 2 best hens, and the best rooster and paired them up to hatch chicks from. Ill take some pictures later and post them.

6. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    I just hatched eleven Faverolles chicks beneath two broody hens and none of mine have black dots on their bodies--only black tips on their wings. They are about one week old and I feel they are not quite ready to be discerned between male or female, though with some who have absolutely salmon wing feathers it is now obvious they are female.

7. lunatic

lunatic Out Of The Brooder

I am new to chickens. [​IMG]

I just picked up a salmon faverolle chick, tiny tiny, maybe a few days to a week old? She has the classic dark grey spot on the tips of her wings. Does that mean she is actually a he? Or is it too soon to tell? About how old before it becomes obvious? We are urban chicken keepers so we are not allowed to keep roosters. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You can not sex them after hatching. Usually after a month, you would start seeing some wing feathers and chest feathers giving you indications of what the gender will be.

I never had black dots on the back so it looks like they probably were not of quality Faverolles. did you buy yours from a reputable breeder?

9. lunatic

lunatic Out Of The Brooder

No, we're not really interested in breeding, just eggs. We got the standard Australorp, Buff Orp, and RIR but I wanted something different for the 4th and when I saw that the store we got the others from was getting in Faverolles I researched them and totally fell in love. The store is just your typical nursery/feed store that sells chicks they order from various hatcheries. These Faverolles came from McMurray Hatchery. We are a family of 4 and we got 4 chicks so we each got to claim one and name it. The Fav was mine and I will be very sad if we have to give her up!

Good to know I don't have to give her up just yet. Guess I'll just hold my breath a few weeks and wait and see! Thanks for the quick reply.

10. Epossumondas

Epossumondas New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    I got my first Bantam Salmon Faverolles this past Sunday from a breeder in IL. They all pretty much looked the same then, but in less than a week, I can tell some are roosters by the dark on their wings.

Some have new tan wing feathers so I assume they're pullets.

My question is about the ones with brown. Not black like the boys and not tan like the girls. I'll post pictures as soon as I find them. (Stupid computer...it appears that my whole 'E drive', with my pictures, has vanished.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by