1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salmon Faverolle Roo - when will he look like a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hopeful Peacock, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hopeful Peacock

Hopeful Peacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    middle TN
    Hi everyone-

I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here. I have a fairly new flock (Spring 2011) and have 3 salmon faverolles among them. My little salmon hens (Muffy and Buffy) began laying recently- they are exactly 6 months old. I have always assumed the other is a Roo because he feathered out solid brown, and he is still solid brown. BUT he doesn't crow, and he doesn't breed the hens. He is also 6 months old and his name is Sriracha. (I have 13 total birds, including one other Roo, a fully mature Brahma - in case that makes a difference.) So, is he a roo? If so, when will he begin to look (and act) like a roo?

2. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

A picture would be helpful

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    A photo would be helpful since it is the feathering, comb, etc that identifies a roo, not the color. Plus, being solid brown, I am guessing he/she is not a salmon faverolle since neither male or female SFs are solid brown. But, if you post a picture, we can sure help you identify the breed and gender! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Salmon Faverolle Roo - when will he look like a roo?

Around 4 days old. The males have a dark spot on each wing by then.

You might have a dark hen, it's not unheard of.

Pictures would sure hep though as it could be anything going by the color alone.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:It's a she. I've seen a lot of very dark Fav hens come out of hatcheries lately, including some that have a lot of black on them. In fact Meyer's has changed the Fav pictures in their catalog to reflect this - the hen is solid brown with a black muff.

Fav roos look much, much different. Like this

[​IMG]

7. melschicks

melschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Dennis Port, MA
    I have the same situation this year... 3 out of 4 of my salmon faverolles are brownish/blackish but with hen size/feathers/etc. Only one ended up the buff/light brown color that is generally advertised for that breed. From all of my reading on breed characteristics, I had assumed those three would be roos, but they appear to be hens (not laying yet, thus the "appear"). It's reassuring to hear that it is common. Thanks for the thread!

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    This is very interesting to hear since one of the big hatcheries: Meyers, has a message on their site that they are 'currently improving the 2012' faverolles.

I wonder if this darkening is a trend overall. Interesting stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by