salmon faverolle roosters...is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klesoine, Nov 11, 2011.

1. klesoine

klesoine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    I have a multi level barn. I have two salmon faverolle roosters, one large mixed rooster and two banty roosters. I have 30+ hens. Recently, the two faverolle roosters abandoned all the hens in the lower part of the barn to roost on hay bales in the upper level of the barn. in fact, if they aren't allowed in the higher level, they will avoid coming in at night. they sit very close to each other and have started to hang out together in the daytime. I found it very interesting. My husband just thought they had had enough of all those 'women' and would join them again when spring comes. Any thoughts? Have you seen this kind of behavior in roosters?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Salmon Faverolles are a gentle breed which often get bullied quite badly in a flock.

I have a bantam SF cockerel and pullet in my large, mixed flock and Hitchcock started roosting OUTSIDE, but sheltered on the veranda railing. I put him back in the coop a few nights in a row, then Amy started joining him there. Then Albert, a bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccle joined them. The three of them huddle together on that railing every night, directly opposite one of the windows in my house. (I can keep an eye on 'em through it.)

So my SFs feel more secure there and I am letting them roost there every night.

It makes perfect sense yours are roosting further away from the 31 others!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by