Salmon Faverolles...are they all roosters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Africanchild, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Africanchild

Africanchild Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have five SF chicks total (not all are pictured here) but I think I only have one hen. The chick with the white breast and light brown feathers on her back is the hen. However, I'm not sure about the chick in the very first picture is there any hope it could turn out to be a badly marked hen?

I got my chicks from a local woman but I don't know if her stock were hatchery or not.

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    How old are they? I do see some potential for badly marked hens in there.

3. Africanchild

Nov 7, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    they are 3-4 weeks old I think closer to 4 weeks...

The third picture from the top is what a rooster should normally look like right?

[​IMG] (please oh, please be hens) [​IMG]

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Young Faverolles males can be very messy looking. Often they look almost calico for a long time, and they mature slowly (8 months is normal). I can take a picture of some of my mine that are about the same age if you want.

Unfortunately I only see 1 pullet in those pictures. If your source has hatchery birds I suppose it's possible the 1st but I don't think that is likely. I think it will be a light colored cockerel. Your lone pullet looks decent enough that I doubt you'd get an awful colored pullet from the same breeders.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    At that age they could really go either way [​IMG] You're right that the third is closest to what a roo should look like. I'd be interested in seeing some comb closeups at 5 weeks.

6. Africanchild

Nov 7, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    That would be great if you don't mind to share some pictures. I'm pretty sure the other four are males but I was really hoping one or two more might turn out to be a sloppy colored hens. [​IMG]
    Since this is my first time with Faverolles I thought let's ask the experts and hope for some good news lol.

Thanks for posting!

7. Africanchild

Nov 7, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I will post more pictures soon and this time I will get pictures without bars in them.

8. Africanchild

Nov 7, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    and close-ups of their combs.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by