Salmon Faverolles Being Bullied?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
I have heard that Faverolles can be bullied when kept in a mixed flock. Do you have any experience with this?

The other birds would probably be

-an Easter Egger
- a Red Sexlink
- a Buff Orpington
- a Speckled Sussex

Your other choices look like breeds that are not usually aggressive. I have Faverolles, EE's, and Delawares. Used to have Buffs. They all get along, the only one who gets bullied is the Polish Bantam roo. The girls pluck at his head feathers.

Will you have plenty of room for them, inside and outdoors?

Yes, there should be plenty of room. I picked out these breeds because I thought they will be calm and docile.

I can't stop laughing at the Polish getting his head picked.
lau.gif

Does anyone else have experience with Faverolles?

The faverolles is a very calm and quiet bird. You can put nearly any age in with them (chicks no but feathered out birds) and I have put my little sebrights in with them as well and no issues. However, they are very easily bullied and while the roosters may fight each other they come out the loser to most breeds. You must keep an eye on the newcomers to watch for bullying so they don't do serious damage to your favs.

my faverolles and some others stay in my barn because they get picked on so bad. my sf roo would hide with head in the corner. he was pecked bad on his neck. he has such a sweet personality that it was sad. when ever he hears me talk he yells out to me. one day i was talking to the other chickens and he was out in the pasture, when he heard me, he started talking to me and the barred rock roo heard him. the barred rock took off like a rocket after him. i almost got him killed by wanted to talk to me. needless to say i don't have the barred rock roo any more. they are wonderful and sweet, but i try my best to keep an eye on everyone. also he did not have much weight on him at first because he spent his time hiding and running away. my hen on the other hand is broody right now and is a sweetheart. even thou she beats up on her roo. he also came of age this winter so maybe when everyone gets back together this spring he will be able to hold his own a little better....

Last edited:
I just added 3 SF pullets to my small flock (the SF's are about 14 weeks and the others are about 10 weeks) and so far we haven't had any issues, except for the Polish rooster (a 10 weeker) pecking at everyone...not just the SF's. I'd never heard they were often bullied. I'll have to watch out for any problems!

I have 5 SF raised and in coup with EE, Speckled Sussex, Red Sex Link Gold & Silver Wyandotte, Barred Rock and California Whites, so quite a mixture (a total of 25 birds)

The Speckled Sussex seems to be the dominate bird in the group.

The SF is a very shy bird and seems to go to the back wall when I enter the coup...I have not noticed any picking on and when I fill feed bowls they run up with all the others and mingle. They just seem very shy..they seem to like to be cooped up also, I hardly see them in the run and when I let them out of coop other day only one of them even ventured out.

Back
Top Bottom