Salmon Faverolles from a hatchery??

freedom chick

Songster
6 Years
I have read all kinds of information about Salmon Faverolles and hatchery birds vs breeders. I ordered 2 for my flock from MPC and I am getting a little nervous. I may cancel them from my order. I am on the fence.

What are your experiences from a hatchery with this particular breed?

Can anyone share photos of their Faverolles? where did they come from?

I want the light colored Faverolle and I here hatchery stock is very dark or mahogany in color.

Any thoughts out there?

Seriously, I would love pics for comparison

I posted this on your other thread, but I'll put it here too. I've had Faverolles for 5 years now.

Some of the hatchery stock is indeed darker in color, but not all. Last year I had to get a few hatchery Favs to keep a singleton chick (from my breeder Faverolles) company so I was able to do a comparison. In general the hatchery birds were not bad, definitely better than what I have seen in past years. They were certainly a lot smaller than my breeder birds and a couple were on the darker side. They did have respectable muffs, beards and toes, and all had that nice Faverolles personality. The kids kept 2 for pets. I am not positive but I think they may have come from Meyer.

I can post pictures of my breeder birds later, and see if I have any of those hatchery chicks left somewhere. Right now I have to go do more shoveling.

Where are you located? I do have some 7-8 month old breeder pullets I hatched last May/June that I don't want to keep for breeding.

I am in Ohio :)

Thank you for all the info. I did read that the hatcheries, like Meyer (MPC), have been working on restoring the genetics of this breed. I suppose it will be a toss up. Sometimes the unknown is fun.
All my other birds came from MPC and I love every single one of them!
I plan to take next spring off from chicks. I will go the breeder route the next time.

Last edited:
You are in a good location, near some large poultry shows and breeders. Leisha Comer is in Ohio. She has Ron Patterson's LF ow and she shows all over. Brian Knox, a NH poultry judge, usually shows at the Ohio National and last fall he brought some for sale.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom