Salmon Faverolles Roo.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rider357, Aug 18, 2011.

1. rider357

rider357 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Nokesville, Va
    A month ago I picked up a Salmon Faverolles rooster to add to the flock. He's about 5-6 months old now and quite the handsome dude. The problem is that he's not breeding effectively with the hens. He makes a halfhearted gesture to mount them then runs away. He's still kinda young. He's generally pretty timid. Is this a normal way of things for Faverolles, or will he eventuallty grow out of it and become more of a stud muffin?[​IMG] I know my other roosters will pretty much partying down at this age. Thanks for any help you guys can provide

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I also have a sweet and beautiful salmon faverolle roo, and we had hoped he would become our dominant roo, but at 18 weeks he is number 4, and even my meanie silver and golden laced wyandottes run him around. Our dominant roo a BCMarans pecks him all the time and treats him like the pullets. I'm hoping he matures eventually since they are all the same age, and stands up for himself.

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I think Salmon Faverolles can be a little slow maturing, given a bit more time I'm sure he'll work it out. [​IMG]

4. rider357

rider357 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Nokesville, Va
    Quote:I sure hope so. He's such a beautiful roo I'd like to get some chicks out of him. He actually comes right up to you and I pick him up. He squawks a bit, but is in no hurry to get down. Maybe he's a bit spoiled and that has something to do with it?

5. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Just give him more time to mature. Our George, is now 6 mos & it's like someone flipped a switch. He is trying to convince any hen that stands still for 30 seconds he'll be the love of their life until another fluffy butt catches his attention. Our main rooster is a very large & dominant jersey giant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by