Do you have Salmon Faverolles?

• Yes! They are amazing!

Votes: 74 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • I really want some!

Votes: 32 27.1%

• Total voters
Just a pic of one of my hatchery Faverolles female. She has grown, is growing, a black beard! Some others look pretty uniform color...and others not so much. I plan on keeping a flock of Faverolles and selective breeding!
20211128_174530.jpg
20211128_174504.jpg
20211128_174443.jpg
20211128_174429.jpg

Hi there, Fellow SF owners: This is my first flock; therefore, my first winter with them.

I have Five SF girls and One roo. (I just adore him; He’s GORGEOUS and, of course, he knows it too! Ha!) I also have Three jubilee orpingtons and One roo of that breed as well. (He’s just as GORGEOUS, and Omigosh- he REALLY knows it! 🐓)

My Questions are about Winter Laying and Coming into Lay. I’d love to hear about anyones experiences with these wonderful Faverolles and how they usually come into Lay and how they do thru Winters specifically.

Since mine were born in Late June, they will be 6mos in Mid-Dec, so I don’t have a clue on when to expect eggs. What signs could I look for? We just installed their nesting boxes and put ceramic eggs in there. I noticed that they have been in there because the nesting pads are really “fluffed up”. Also, I think I’ve seen them “squatting”? I went to pet one the other day and she just sat dawn/laid down. I’ve never seen them do that before. Also, the Roos are starting to try to mate with them. They aren’t successful, I don’t think; because they aren’t really able to hop on. LOL!😉

My neighbor, an ol’ salt of the earth fella in his retirement from the army, has several mixed-breed chickens, told me not to expect any eggs at all until Spring. He didn’t bother to ask me what breed of chickens I had or anything tho, he was just set in his ways that it wouldn’t happen over the winter.

We’re in Western Kentucky and it gets dark around 5pm and the sun comes up around 6:30am. I don’t use any light in the coop but they have a huge window that gets full sun throughout the day, plus they have their outdoor run, but thats covered with a large greenhouse tarp for the winter, so it only gets sun from one direction right now. However, I am able to let them free range everyday for around 3hrs before they go in to their coop for the night.

Any shared stories would be enormously appreciated!! BYC is my only chicken-community to communicate and to correspond with, so every post is amazing!! ♥️🐣♥️
Thanks!
Hello 😁 I have some young faverolles just starting to lay, they are 8 months old, in my experience favs can take a bit longer than other breeds. Im in the UK and it is short days and cold conditions but they are coming into lay slowly but surely, it will just be a case of when they are ready, mine have been squatting for quite a while so you may have a bit of a wait before you can expect eggs it will just depend on your line but all mine have been 7/8/9 months old. Look for very red combs and hens looking slightly restless (in and out nest box etc) fingers crossed you get some eggs soon 😊🤞🏻

Your old timer friend may be right. The problem is number of daylight hours. For maximum production, the commercial producers provide about 14 hours of light a day. However, hens kept in these conditions frequently are only kept in production one year. We backyard keepers typically don't want our hens to burn out that fast, so we let nature take its course and allow them a winter break. I don't expect much in the way of eggs till early March. My pullets should actually be old enough to start laying by mid-January, but I'll be flabbergasted if I actually start seeing eggs that early! I guess time will tell.
I have Sablepoots that started to lay last week

Back
Top Bottom