salmon faverolles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Megs, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    looking for any info on salmon faverolles, i ordered some once from a hatchery and we lost quite a few (ordered 10 or so and ended up with just a few. it was years ago so i cant remember to well, but i know we lost a lot as chicks) are they generally hard to raise?? i want to order some because they are beautiful, good layers and i have heard quite friendly, but if they are known for being difficult i will go with something else. i do have a few other breeds in mind as i will be ordering several. (EE, brahma, cochin)

photos if you have any would be great to see

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I raise bantam Salmon Faverolles and I have only ever hatch shipped eggs. I have not had any trouble in the past with them being any more vulnerable. Shipping is very hard and chicks, you may have just gotten some that had a very bad trip. Try to order close to you home or possibly find a breeder near by. If you need names I might be able to help you.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i have bantams myself. i've tried hatching some of the standards but i ended up with all cockerels.

my girls are very friendly and the bantam cockerel i hatched was a very sweet boy (loud, but sweet). i was able to find someone local who was raising them, but a month after i got them she lost her SF flock to the nasty rains we had here and i am not sure if anyone else will have them in bantams locally.

i have 3 girls, 1 i hatched along with the cockerel from eggs bought on ebay, 2 i bought from the local.

i've found i have the best luck hatching Favs than any other breed so far.

5. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    i realize shipping is hard on them, but we ordered several other breeds with that shipment and they were all fine, which leads me to beleave faverolles are harder to raise/ship or i just got a weak batch. unfortunatly there is very little selection in canada, hatcherys have almost no bantam breeds, and breeders are hard to find (i also want several breeds so its easier/cheaper to get them from one place) and shipping is also very costly within canada. So i must order from the US, which means longer shipping but much better selection.

any other experiances appreciated! i dont want to order them if they have a tendancy to ship poorly or are overly difficult to raise.

6. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Where about in Canada are you? Performance Poultry in Ontario offers salmon faverolles. However, I think their shipping requirements were really high, like 75 chick minimum or something. At least thats what it was to ship to BC. You would have to email them for a quote. I had to order my birds from Rochester Hatchery in Alberta, and their selection is not all that great. [​IMG] I'm not too impressed with them, actually, but the chicks were healthy and I lost 3 out of 26 within the first two weeks. No other problems with them since. They offer a few different heritage breeds, but not Faverolles.
    I imagine the border crossing hassle to ship live animals from the states would be just as frustrating as a small selection. I hear ya. There's not really any local sources in my area, either.

7. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    We ordered Samon Favorolles last spring from Performance Poultry. The ones we have are of the German veriaty that are also known As Dark Faverolles. I know that I picked them up and they are all fine, however I know someone who got some on the same day and has one female with crooked beak. Our Faverolles are the friendliest chickens we have other than the D'Uccles. We have 3 Pullets and one Cockerel. The Cockeral one of the best roosters we have exept for his docile nature makes him an easy target for the Silkie terrorists. Once the Silkies are moved to the tractor for the day he takes over and runs the coop for the day. Our girls are laying well and they are getting to a good size and they love to be picked up or petted. They also use to rush to the door to go to the tractor befor we started putting our terrorists (Silkie Boys) in it.
    We thouroughly enjoy our faverolles.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    This is the only one that hatched out of 6 shipped eggs.

I love her... and she is laying spectacular greyish eggs.

[​IMG]

Her egg is the one just below the maran egg on the upper far right.

[​IMG]

9. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
  10. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I've raised several varieties of both Large and Bantam Faverolles and I never had a problem with weak chicks. The Favs I had were decent egg layers and quite tame. My guess is you just had a weak batch. Your best bet is to get eggs, chicks, or adults from a breeder and not a hatchery, or if you get birds from a hatchery I would stick with well known reputable hatcheries.

David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by