Salmon Favorelle chicks died this morning. Questions!

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
I am so sad. I had 4 Salmon Favorelle (standard) that hatched 4 days ago. One had pipped thru a blood vessel in the membrane, had a lot of bleeding, drying out, protracted hatch, etc. But it seemed to be doing well, just a little behind the others. I also have MFD, BLRW, and BO in the same brooder from the same hatch. While doing my routine screening for pasty butt two days ago I noticed that all four Sal. Favs had the beginning of pasting. It has been a problem with all four since then. Last night I cleaned, fed, and took care of the worst of the two and put him back in the brooder in a separate area, thinking he would be gone this morning. He wasn't and he was in much worse shape. I took him out and he had yellow poo coming from his vent. I cleaned it and was trying to dry him when he cheeped and I noticed that the same yellow poo was oozing from his umbilicus. He was very frail and dehydrated so I fed him water with an eyedropper which he didn't want. I knew with an umbilical fistula he was not going to survive so I wrapped him in a warm cloth and kept him comfortable.

Meanwhile I go back to the brooder to find the other chick standing with it's eyes closed weaving back and forth. I picked him up and saw that he was pasted up again, since I cleaned him an hour before. I cleaned him up, trimmed a bit of fluff, put the vaseline on, watered him, etc. I noticed that, like the other chick, he felt frail and tiny compared to the others. Seconds later he fell to his side and began agonal breathing through his beak. I picked him up and he was just limp. I wrapped him in a warm washcloth and put him with the other one where he died moments later.

Without going into detail, I finally had to put the first chick down myself after several hours of waiting for him to pass. He was warm and comfortable till the end. I am heartbroken.

I read everything I could find on pasty butt and followed every recommendation and suggestion. I don't understand why only one breed would have it if it was due to high brooder temp, feeding, watering etc. They have all had the same care.I am so worried about the other two. I have cleaned both their bottoms again since burying the two little chicks.

Am I doing something wrong? Can pasty butt tendency be genetic? Any suggestions appreciated.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm so sorry! i've read that the pasty butt can be due to stress or brooder temps being too warm. Oh gosh, i'm trying to remember what else i read. It's been all the way since this past Spring since i brooded chicks inside. Oh, it can be caused by constipation. i had some aracauna chicks that had hideous plugged bottoms. i had to soak them waist deep in warm water, give them some olive oil by mouth, and watch them like a hawk. When the poo finally came out it was like silly putty. But that doesn't sound like your situation.

Maybe my post will bump this up so more knowledgeable folk can provide some input and advice.

Back
Top Bottom