Salmon Favorelle: comments???? Pics???

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
Hi again~

Olivia and I are still trying decide which 2 new chicks to get next month. Definitely one EE; we're donsidering a Welsumer, GLW, Partridge Rock or possibly a Salmon Favorelle for the second.

We're a little concerned because the Henderson's Breed Selection chart says "prone to bullying"..... and that can be a problem with such a little flock (6 hens, no rooster) and is why we are restructuring our flock this spring anyway.....

Anyone have any experience with this? Or any pics?

Thanks!
Stacey & Olivia

salmon faverolles can get very affectionate to the person that is around them the most. They can get a little agressive towards other birds, but it really all depends.

ooooh, that doesn't sound so great. We've had some major issues with aggressive birds. The reason we are restructuring is because our EE (who loves US) is just too much of a bully to the others.... It would not be fun to have the same problem.

Henderson's chart is good for an idea don't base everything on what they say (I have found alot of differences maybe because it was done in another country)

but, they are prone to bulling out of your original list on the other post Rock or RIR should mix well!

Off that list your one daughter asked about a cochin!
I suggest a Brahma they have the same temperament are great with kids (my one daughter carries all of our around often & they all have slightly different personalities)

I have a SamFav and have never had her bully any of the other chickens. She is the one who gets bullied. I just hatched out more. She also lays all year round.

Hi,

Favs are bullies?
hu.gif
Really?

I have 9 Favs in a flock of 35 and have noticed no bullying by them towards the others. But my Wynndottes (4) on the the other hand bully them.
idunno.gif

Candys

Chickens are like people each one has a personality
charts don't allow for that-

My favs never bully and I have to watch in a group they would starve as they move from the feed rather then scrap like other breeds -

It will depend though on the personality of the chick you get --

As a general rule, the Favs are extremely passive. So much so that it can be hard to introduce them into an established flock because the will not defend themselves. They are extraordinarily sweet, docile, voluptuous birds that do not throw their weight around.

I just recently added two SF Pullets into my established flock.

It does take some time to get them excepted into the flock. I introduced them into the flock BEFORE Christmas and they are finally doing much better.

My one that came here close to egg laying was excepted into the flock faster then my one who is still not laying. She runs from two of my hens and they tend to chase her. The other that was close to egg laying would squat and the two bully girls would just walk away.

They are extermely sweet and some of the sounds they make are so sweet. Our one who gets chased will run to us and climb into my kid's laps if they are sitting outside. She makes the cutes baby sound when she cuddles up to them!!!

I really like mine you just have to take time with them being excepted into your flock.

I can get pictures of mine but it has been wet, cloudy, and raining off and on for the last 2 weeks so they look pretty pathetic!!!

OK I got a few of my poor girls. They are still gaining weight they were cage raised so they had no muscle tone to them!!! OH they are also pet quailty birds
smile.png

Maddie and Rainah
IMG_3188.jpg

Rainah and one of our EE's Sierra
IMG_3183.jpg

Maddie
IMG_3180.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom