Salmon Favorelle

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ausash, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I have the chance to get some bantam eggs tomorrow and was wondering if this breed would be worth the $25-30 it would cost for 12 eggs? Does any have any and what do you think of them? Or can anyone tell me if they are worth this much?

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Just remember, with only 12 eggs you may not get but one or two chicks--if they are shipped, possibly less. If you are okay with that after spending teh $, then go for it!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

For that much money, they better have an excellent hatch rate! [​IMG]
    Usually you can talk them into shipping you extras... Things happen... The eggs can break during shipping, they can be shook up so much that there are air bubbles in the egg, etc.
    Now, what type of bantams are they? And what color?
    I paid $20 for 16 BLRW eggs and only one hatched. Totally worth it to me, though, because I got a great hen (beautiful, too) and I found a roo for her. So I guess it just depends on how much you want that breed. BLRWs are my favorite and I wanted them bad enough to take the chance.

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    salmon favs are awesome birds...we have standards but i would not expect to get more than a couple maybe 4-6 at best out of 12 eggs which makes them too expensive. You can get sexed salmon fav standards ( i dont think they sex the bantams) at ideal for around 2 bucks a piece.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Bantam Salmon Faverolles are fantastic birds. Good layers in winter, sweet disposition, gentle roosters. The eggs are nice size for a bantam. If the quality is good 25-30 is not to much to pay for quality birds. If you are not interested in raising them to show or to have show potential eggs to sell, then it may be a bit much to pay. I have very nice Salmon Faverolles and I usually offer them on this board for $20.00 including shipping for 8 to 10 eggs. Depending on the time of year you will have to pay more for eggs due to availability . I usually sell on eggbid and I have gotten anywhere from $15.00 to 20.00 per dozen. I usually charge a flat rate for shipping of $9.00. So your price seems to be in the ballpark.

6. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Well thank you all for the information. I have decided to just wait on these since I don't have a lot of luck with hatch rates sometimes and I do live in very hot North Florida which increase the risk of poor hatch rates due to heat that they would be sitting in to the post office and my house, it does seem to raise the price per chick quite a bit. I will just keep an eye out for some chicks and get them that way. Thanks a lot again.

7. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    I have Salmon Faverolles, both bantams and Standards. They are awesome birds and the price is about right for hatching eggs. BUT at this time of year in our southern climate eggs can cook during shipping (I stopped shipping end of June, and only went that long due to unseasonably cool temps here). If you decide to buy make sure your seller will use a foam chest and cool packs and consider overnight USPS or FEDX. Personally I think chicks are a great idea if you can get them because the chicks can be sexed at less than 2 weeks and you can take just what you want/need. Plan to pay a higher price for sexed chicks for the convience of not having to feed or deal with extra roos.

Blessings,
    Melissa

8. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    melissa...is there some way WE as hobbyists can sex the salmon favs when they are less than 2 weeks old or just the hatchery gurus?

9. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    You can sex SF's by the color of their feathers. The female will not have any black but be the salmon color with a few darker brownish feathers on the wings but mostly off white and salmon. A roo would have black by a couple of weeks.

Here is one of my SF's at 19 days old, as you can tell, it is a pullet. The darker areas are not black. They are dark brownish color.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic from Feathersite showing the differences in chicks feathers at a few weeks old.

[​IMG]

As you can see the pullets have a spotty appearance to the darker feathers, the cockrels have more of a solid black. Hope that helps.

Marie

10. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    thanks for that mate...i know ours certainly look GREATLY different at the 7 weeks old they are now and have looked different for a few weeks but its nice to know you can tell as early as 2 weeks...will allow for rehoming the roos before having to feed them for 2 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by