Salmon Favorelles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kenzier093, Nov 8, 2013.

1. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wanting to get some Salmon Favorelles for next spring. Anyone know if they are good egg layers or not?

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Mine lay pretty well - just about every day. Their eggs are a little smaller than my other chickens' eggs. I love them, they are very sweet and follow me around the yard!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. kenzier093

Do they almost stop laying in the winter or don't they seem to mind it?

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    They are still young, they started laying around August - so not sure yet about these guys in the winter. I live in NC, so the winters aren't too bad, my other hens didn't slow down much through the winter last year.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mine lay a nice size medium egg about 3-4 days a week even through winter with 12 hours of light in the coop. To get the proper colored ones (not too dark and smudgey) you need to get them from a breeder or at lest get hatching eggs. If you get on the salmon faverolles thread, there are good breeders willing to ship eggs. What part of the country are you located in? I know of good breeders in Mass., Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and many in Washington State on that thread.

6. kenzier093

I live in Pennsylvania. I was actually thinking of getting some from Cackle Hatchery though along with some EE's and brown leghorns. I don't really know of any hatcheries in Pennsylvania that have Favorelles though either.

7. kenzier093

Well that's good [​IMG]. Most of mine are in a molt right now so I'm not getting to many eggs right now.

8. rhacker

rhacker New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Eggcessive: Could you please give me the information of the breeder from Indiana? I would really appreciate it!

9. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    I live in PA as well and adore my Easter Eggers. I was thinking about getting some Salmon Favorelle's from Cackle as well this spring. Not sure what else I might get to fill out the order but I love those fluffy little beards.

10. kenzier093

Did you order from Cackle before? This would be my first time ordering from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by