Salmon Favorrels Gender ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hcammack, Oct 15, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I was supposed to get 8 poults from meyer hatchery most of them I am pretty sure they got right exept one cuckoo maran and the to favorrels. I know favorrels are suposed to be easily sexed but the "girls" first feathers are only partialy white with alot of brown oh well mabe its just poor color they are only a week old I will post pics later. Any thoughts?

Henry

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If the feathers have brown, they are pullets and if black, they're cockerels. Usually, by two weeks old, it's obvious which is which.

3. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Faverolles color from the hatcheries is usually very bad. I've seen hatchery females with black in their beards and hackles, and dark feathers in their legs.

Chances are good your birds just have off color, but it's possible (though unlikely) they made a mistake at the hatchery.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They sure do make sexing mistakes! I have had one or two myself.

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    This is one of the reasons I'm going to start taking pictures of my chickens at different ages. I have Salmon's and can't remember what they looked like at that age. The reason I can't remember could be my age too.[​IMG]

6. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    there are pics on feathersite that shows the difference at a very young age.

feathersite pic:

[​IMG]

here is one of my girls at 19 days, don't have a boy but you can see that her wing feathers are not black but brown.

[​IMG]

Hope it helps.

Marie

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    OH both ladies for sure I am so happy they are my faviorts thanks for the pics that was pretty obvious now. Thanks

Henry

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh and do dark leggs on cuckoo marans mean they are girls?
    (Question ANSWERD ON ANOTHER THREAD)

Henry

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by