Salmon favs....Both roos? MAYBE NOT!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Sheriff, Dec 16, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I am almost afraid to ask. But are they both roos?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    looks like it to me sorry.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Boo hoo! I agree.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Not necessarily...hold out for a couple of weeks, I had one that I thought for sure was a roo, because SHE started out with a few black wing tips. I think it is more likely the first one is a roo, but wait and see if one feathers out faster - my females feather out faster than the boys, also wait until they get a few more wing feathers. [​IMG]

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Bummer! Looks like I am going to be having a rooster sale at m house! These guys and the bantam cochins. I don't want to make it sound like I don't love the little roosters I will just be pushing it to get by with the two or three I will need for my breeders so I can't really have any in my "pet" flock. We have a half acre zoned for hobby farming with no exclusion for roosters but if there is a noise complaint, that is a whole different story. Somebody moved in two doors down this weekend with 2 silkie roos and those guys are crowing constantly so that will help take the heat off of me!

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:That gives me some hope. They are starting to look a bit different this week with one smaller and more reddish. Let's hope!

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'm not saying the others are wrong, as I only had one Faverolles, but she started with black wings feathers. Her coloration was off, but she was definitely a girl. But she was from a hatchery, and was really loud and spastic, so I gave her away.

I give you permission to live in denial until a few more feathers grow in. I think chest feathers were my determining factor.

8. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Well, if that ain't a hope buster I don't know what is! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mary

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Well, if that ain't a hope buster I don't know what is! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mary

I definitely have a wide range of personalities with my favs too...from sweet, quiet and docile, all the way to one that bites me HARD if I even think about touching her...No, I don't hatch her eggs - She lives with my layer flock! She's a brat. [​IMG]

10. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Penalty for piling on!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by