SALMONELLA AND BABY CHICKS??? FREAKING OUT, HERE!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wings, Jan 23, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am a young chicken owner and have been looking forward to getting more chicks in the spring for weeks. We are getting them from a local hatchery, a few towns away.

My dad just showed me an article on how salmonella outbreaks are increasing because of day-old, mail-order chicks. I was thinking: "Gee, thanks Dad! Now I can be a paranoid maniac over this when we get them. IF we get them, now!"

Here's the article:
    http://www.webmd.com/news/20090122/baby-chicks-crawling-with-salmonella

I know there isn't a super risk because we are getting our chicks from a local farm, but I still need some talking down.

Also, what can I do (without going crazy about it) to prevent any of this from happening?

Any calming down would be appreciated.

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Peace, chill, and don't worry! wash your hands after handling them. You'll be OK!

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Honestly, your chances of getting food poisoning from anything you buy at the grocery store and eating out even is probably about as slim as the chances of salmonella. I have done chicks for ten years, my kids and the neighbors kids play with them and handle them...really, don't worry too much about it:>) I don't.

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] It will be ok [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup.

MAAN.

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have never worried about that with the chicks i have, I do make sure to wash my hands before and after handling any chickens but then when i do hold them they are so cute and fuzzy i can't help but to smooch all over em :|

7. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Don't worry, just keep some hand sanitizer near the chick brooder and use it when done handling them and then go and wash your hands in the sink. That is what I do. There's other places besides chickens to pick up salmonella, so don'tfreak out too much over your baby chicks. Enjoy them!

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Salmonella is everywhere. There was an article out about getting it from your fish tank. [​IMG] Compare the odds of that to handling any raw meat. Your more likely to get sick from buying chicken and eggs at the store than from handling your own baby chicks.

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You are more likely to get salmonella from your peanut butter than your chicks!!!!!LOL

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    when I suspected that my hens had a virus I got the agr. guy to check them. It took him over a month to get here but he checked for many other diseases too and one was Salmonella. Mine checked out fine. None found. So now I do not worry so much. When your chicks are older you can get them checked to see if they have it. Just as the others said always wash up anyway. Make sure the kids do too. Just good sanitation. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by