1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salmonella at hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kimmom, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kimmom

kimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    I heard word of mouth that the hatchery our chicks are arriving from tomorrow has a salmonella outbreak! What do I do?? Too late to cancel my order!!

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    What hatchery did you order from?

3. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Must be Mt. Healthy Hatchery. It is strange that this salmonella outbreak was officially posted for public on June 9th, yet there is absolutely nothing on their website regarding this problem.

4. kimmom

kimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Its a Canadian hatchery .. was only word of mouth that I heard but we have 5 kids and 50 layers not wanting to deal with salmonella

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. FeedYourself

FeedYourself Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Washington State
    Quote:I'm not a hatchery expert, but I have spent more time in food manufacturing than I care to mention...[​IMG]

Salmonella...it exists, and it is everywhere. So is Listeria.

Salmonella is prominent in fecal matter from birds, or poultry.

Salmonella can be killed by cooking meat to greater than 162F for 25 seconds or so...

I wouldn't be worried about a "hatchery outbreak". I would wash my hands with hot water, sanitize with alcohol (isopropyl), and practice safe food-handling procedures.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I'm not a hatchery expert, but I have spent more time in food manufacturing than I care to mention...[​IMG]

Salmonella can be killed by cooking meat to greater than 162F for 25 seconds or so...

I wouldn't be worried about a "hatchery outbreak". I would wash my hands with hot water, sanitize with alcohol (isopropyl), and practice safe food-handling procedures.

I completely agree. I think we should all assume that all poultry has salmonella, and act accordingly.

I'd recommend that everyone keep a couple of large bottles of the waterless hand disinfectant near the coops to use when done finishing the birds, as a first step in not transferring germs. I spent yesterday at the hospital waiting on my mother, who was having a minor outpatient procedure, and they have hand sanitizer everywhere, including on the elevators.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009

I also agree. However, I would be more worried if this was Salmonella Pullorum. But it seems that it is the regular variety salmonella. Some people got sick from eating under-cooked eggs. now the media is turning the hatchery a sacrificial lamb because we are a fear mongering people.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Wash your hands after handling animal poop.

Problem solved.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:don't let them lick the chickens

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Of course they wouldn't report such a thing, do you think a business like an almighty hatchery would tell their thousands of customers that their selling 10's of thousands of diseased birds. Now their customers can realy look forward to severly inferior stock that is also diseased, yeah unfortunately hatchery buyers will still just shrug their shoulders and click on the add to cart button.
    Sorry just not or ever have been a hatchery fan and this just cements my thoughts, too bad it won't effect their business, too many folks could care less if their birds are inferior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by