Salmonella concerns from a neighbor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellejay, Feb 16, 2018.

1. ellejay

ellejay In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2018
    I just moved me and my hens to a new house/coop. One of my new neighbors raised concerns with me and my partner about having (legal and within the city code) chickens and the coop. She is worried that my three hens will infect her yard with salmonella. My new coop is 20 feet from her yard, is on a concrete slab, and I keep my coop clean. I am trying to find information to provide to her to calm her fears about any bacteria getting into her yard (through "rain runoff"). She has already called the city to complain (the day I moved the chickens in) and the city came out, inspected, and told her I was all legal and within code, but she is still complaining over the fence. Any suggestions?

penny1960 and Chickassan like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I have been keeping chickens over 20 years now. I handle them as well as clean up all the soiling around. Have never encountered Salmonella infection as of yet. Of course I do wash my hands after handling them, and before sitting down to dinner. Tell your neighbor to avoid grazing on her lawn. :lau:gig
    She may also consider installing a roof over her yard, since overhead flying songbirds do drop lil dropping that can infect her lawn as well.
    I'm glad the authorities had enough common sense not to shut you down due to a silly neighbor.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. and:welcome

3. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
  4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I am a pragmatist, so always looking for easy solutions. I think this may curb the salmonella migration. :)
    ATT00013.jpeg

5. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    :lau

KDMdesigns and penny1960 like this.
  6. Kill her with kindness, she is obviously lonely and seeking attention.

Gary

7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    X3 or 4 catch more bee's with honey than stone

8. Boonie Stomper

Boonie Stomper Songster

Jan 1, 2018
    DC, MD, VA region
    tell her the chickens come free of salmonella and pick it up in the environment and that it is already on her and in her yard and her house ...send her to CDC website... and Wikipedia...
    :gig

cavemanrich and JaeG like this.
  9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    She likely just doesn't know how salmonella is transmitted. Does she have a garden where food could come in contact with the alarming chicken runoff water? Maybe just a simple explanation that salmonella is not airborne and if she is not eating things off the ground that she will be fine is all it will take. If she is really concerned she could take extra precaution by washing her hands after yardwork or any time she enters her house (probably good practice for all of us after all the germs we encounter every day, on the bus, at the super market, just out in public).

JaeG likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: