Salmonella in backyard chicken eggs USA News

saddina

Internally Deranged
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Desert, CA
We've known about this for months. It was a specific hatchery at a specific time, and of course like petting a dog or a cat you should wash your hands after.

chickened

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 2, 2010
western Oregon
It is interesting what the guy at the hatchery said about handling chickens. Does anyone really wash thier hands like they should?

saddina

Internally Deranged
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Desert, CA
Quote:Yep, and I make the kids do thiers too. Than again I'm a soapmaker, and have 2 clean scented boys, so we may be an outlier here.

saddina

Internally Deranged
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Desert, CA
Hand sanitizer is great when you don't have a sink around, but since it's alchol based, frequent use can lead to cracked skin, which lets bacteria in. So soap at a sink, and pump when there isn't one.

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I keep hand sanitizer in the coop and after I handle the chickens I use hand sanitizer and then when I go in the house I wash my hands. I didn't know dogs and cats had salmonella too.

Noymira

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Chittenden County, VT
I wash my hands after working with the chickens, and I have 2 special pairs of shoes for going out to the pens that stay by the basement door and never come upstairs. I also wash my eggs before putting them in the fridge.

I have a 2 year old, so washing my hands is a pretty normal activity around here! She doesn't go into the pens often either, but we always hose down her shoes after and leave them on the porch.

saddina

Internally Deranged
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Desert, CA
sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I keep hand sanitizer in the coop and after I handle the chickens I use hand sanitizer and then when I go in the house I wash my hands. I didn't know dogs and cats had salmonella too.

lol they don't but reptiles can carry it as well. but still handle any animal > wash up.​

Top Bottom