Salmonella in backyard chicken eggs USA News

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Aug 26, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    We've known about this for months. It was a specific hatchery at a specific time, and of course like petting a dog or a cat you should wash your hands after.

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It is interesting what the guy at the hatchery said about handling chickens. Does anyone really wash thier hands like they should?

4. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Yep, and I make the kids do thiers too. Than again I'm a soapmaker, and have 2 clean scented boys, so we may be an outlier here.

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I do use hand sanitizer frequently but usually only wash when I get actual poo on me.

6. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Hand sanitizer is great when you don't have a sink around, but since it's alchol based, frequent use can lead to cracked skin, which lets bacteria in. So soap at a sink, and pump when there isn't one.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I keep hand sanitizer in the coop and after I handle the chickens I use hand sanitizer and then when I go in the house I wash my hands. I didn't know dogs and cats had salmonella too. [​IMG]

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I wash my hands after working with the chickens, and I have 2 special pairs of shoes for going out to the pens that stay by the basement door and never come upstairs. I also wash my eggs before putting them in the fridge.

I have a 2 year old, so washing my hands is a pretty normal activity around here! She doesn't go into the pens often either, but we always hose down her shoes after and leave them on the porch.

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Salmonella isn't in the chickens eggs... its the chicken itself, right?

10. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I keep hand sanitizer in the coop and after I handle the chickens I use hand sanitizer and then when I go in the house I wash my hands. I didn't know dogs and cats had salmonella too. [​IMG]

lol they don't but reptiles can carry it as well. but still handle any animal > wash up.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by