I was not sure where to post this, hope it's not the wrong forum. Anyhoo, I work in the microbiology dept at work and we are getting a lot of stool cultures, probably because of the recent salmonella outbreak. Everyone that goes to the doctor with a stomach problem will probably have one ordered as a precaution, and we do get a few a week. One of my coworkers was wondering if the salmonella could get inside the egg, or if it was just on the shell. I have read stuff here warning not to wash the protective coating off the egg, and not to feed the shell w uncooked membrane to other chickens, which leads me to believe that something can pass through. I know the shell must be permeable to gas for the chick to develop but it seems that the egg pores could not be large enough for salmonella to pass through, it's a fairly large motile bacteria. I know someone here will know the correct answer. I'm assuming folks are eating uncooked or insufficiently cooked eggs and getting sick. Just curious.