salmonella in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcostas, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I was not sure where to post this, hope it's not the wrong forum.

Anyhoo, I work in the microbiology dept at work and we are getting a lot of stool cultures, probably because of the recent salmonella outbreak. Everyone that goes to the doctor with a stomach problem will probably have one ordered as a precaution, and we do get a few a week.

One of my coworkers was wondering if the salmonella could get inside the egg, or if it was just on the shell. I have read stuff here warning not to wash the protective coating off the egg, and not to feed the shell w uncooked membrane to other chickens, which leads me to believe that something can pass through. I know the shell must be permeable to gas for the chick to develop but it seems that the egg pores could not be large enough for salmonella to pass through, it's a fairly large motile bacteria.

I know someone here will know the correct answer. I'm assuming folks are eating uncooked or insufficiently cooked eggs and getting sick.

Just curious.
  2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I have always wondered this myself...I will be watching this thread. I dont wash my eggs until I crack them and sometimes they can be pretty dirty! Terri O
  3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    no expertise here....but heard on CNN last night that it can go throught he shell.
  4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    There was a report on CBS last night that stated the salmonella can be INSIDE the eggs, passed on by chickens who appear asymptomatic. They believe the chickens got it through contaminated chicken feed and then carry it, and their eggs contain it. They did not state if the chickens would or could be treated and cleared, or if they would need to be culled.
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, CNN said the strain that is currently downing everybody is one that lives INSIDE the chickens' ovaries and is deposited inside the eggs as they are produced.

However, salmonella or other bacteria can also be introduced through the eggshell when the eggs are washed. When chickens lay their eggs, a waxy coating called the "bloom" is deposited on the outside after the shell has encased the egg. This bloom should not be washed off prior to using the eggs for cooking. If eggs are washed - just prior to use - they need to be rinsed in water that is slightly warmer than the egg (cooler water may force bacteria through the shell into the egg). The USDA’s Egg-Grading Manual recommends that wash water be at least 20° F warmer than the eggs and the water should be at least 90° F.
  6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for that helpful information! Terri O
  7. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    so there is the ago old question for wash or not to wash, want to start selling eggs soon and hate to wash them, but I am thinking other folks don't want visibly dirty eggs.
  8. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    If/ when I get to that point, I plan on just brushing any dirt off the eggs with a soft brush. I'll spot-wash any really sticky poopy spots. So far the eggs have been clean in the nest boxes.
  9. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have always washed my eggs before they went in the fridge. We've never had a problem with it. I just rinse them off and if anything is on them like poo or dirt they get a gentle rub with a wash cloth, dried and put in a carton in the fridge. WeVe never gotton sick from them.
  10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I just went to a diner this morning and they refused to serve me eggs, apprently there has been an egg recall in California.

Does anybody know why? I don't have television at home so I tend to not hear news as quickly... has there been a salmonella outbreak?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by