Salmonella infection

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by larryd1001, Jun 26, 2010.

1. larryd1001

larryd1001 New Egg

Jun 3, 2010
    Me and my wife have just started our coop a have no experience. We purchased 3 rhode island red chicks. We decided later to add 3 more hens to our coop. We have been keeping the chicks inside in plastic box because the new chicks were to small to be with the larger hens. We both have become very ill (gastro). I realized today we must both have salmonella infections from handling the chicks. Very painful stomach cramps with diarrhea. Just thought we would post this as a warning to newbies. We both washed our hands after exposure to the chicks but we both got sick. The chicks are very cute and become pet like very quickly.

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    It's always possible, but if you washed your hands after handling the chicks I can't imagine how you got it. Did you eat anything undercooked? Is there a stomache bug going around? I am not saying it isn't the chicks, just looking for info. Lol bad habit I got when I worked at the hospital. [​IMG]

I hope you both feel better soon!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. larryd1001

larryd1001 New Egg

Jun 3, 2010
    We both washed our hands. I feel better now but it has been rough the last few days. Thanks for you concern.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My chickens were hatched on the property. Right or wrong, I am now enjoying my eggs sunny side up. I do wash my hands when handling anything chicken, and wash the eggs right before I use them.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

You could also get some Germ-X and use it after handling the chicks/washing your hands. It has ethyl alcohol as its active ingredient and will kill almost any germ you could come in contact with (including e. coli). There has been a bug going around here in NW Tennessee and I caught it, so it's possible you have something similar. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by