Salmonella - Mount Healthy Hatcheries

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by st16795, Jun 9, 2011.

1. st16795

st16795 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    GAHHH! I am FREAKING OUT! I bought six chicks, two ducklings from Mount Healthy in April and then three more in May. Now, I just read about a horrible outbreak that's been traced back to Mt. Healthy in Ohio (where I live and purchased my birds). Does anybody have any information on which chicks were infected? I just introduced these freakin' chicks to the rest of the flock three days ago, along with the ducklings. Any advice besides the obvious (washing hands, cooking eggs, etc.)?

Article I read:
    http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/on_your_side/ohio-identified-as-part-of-a-multistate-salmonella-outbreak

Edit: Anyone else find Mount "Healthy"'s name kinda ironic...?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you talk to your county extension office, in the phone book under county government. about this. It is the kind of thing they whould be able to get good information about. The types of questions I'd ask are what dates were the shipments that caused the problems, what are your risks to you and the animals, and what should you do.

It is neat, cool, and all that to freak out and just lose it, but it is better to find out if you really have a problem and deal with it. Once you have dealt with it, then you can freak out.

3. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ugh, I will try that. I'll have to call a county over, they're not very useful, but my county's extension office was cut [​IMG].

Thank you for replying, we'll see about this.

4. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Couldnt you call the hatchery?

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I have sent an email to them, we'll see if I get a response. This is my first flock all 44 from them, does this mean I just be careful, or can it be treated? It's too late at night tonight for official channels, does anyone here know? I also have a 4 and 5 year old we were all just in coop tonight in lawn chairs feeding them grapes to cool down. Jheesh, I knew this was going too smooth.[​IMG]

6. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:"I knew this was going too smooth" <-- exactly what I was thinking! [​IMG] I'm going to call them in a bit, I'll see what they say. I know that the hatchery was tested again for contamination yesterday(?) and they found nothing, so either it was a small outbreak, or they just sold all of the sick chicks already.
    Oh, gosh, that doesn't sound good. I remember reading that younger kids were most at risk. Everything I've read says to wash, wash, wash. Keep me updated. I hope everything goes well for you, with your chicks and you and the kids.

7. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    bought 50 meaties from Mt Healthy on June 1. Am i supposed to feed them for 8 weeks, process them, eat them and see if me or my kids get sick??????? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by