Salmonella outbreak at Mt. Healthy hatchery (where we got our chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HoneyNBenNKids, Jun 9, 2011.

1. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Just read that Mt. Healthy has had an outbreak of Salmonella. Would that effect the chicks? They've had poopy buts for awhile but I've been cleaning them off but should I worry? I've been having the kids wash after handling them and me too (following common sense). I know it's natually found in their stool but would an outbreak mean it's gotten out of hand or some folks didn't wash up?

Honey

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Not sure, but when was the outbreak?

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    It was in the papers and links to CDC website June 9th. I have all of my chicks (range 6 to 10 weeks) from them, and I know this happens and it is not uncommon (not just with this hatchery, a possibilty with all chicks from my understanding). There are several other threads on the Emergencies thread that I am following, I also plan to talk to my county extension office to see if they have suggestions. Check out one of the other threads has a link to the article. I am sure we will all be watching, but I've subscribed to all the threads that I could find, just to follow. So far treating my chicks the same, but if there is something I need to do I am plan to stay on top of it, I'm new to chickens and want to do whatever I need to do to keep them and my family healthy.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I find the name of the hatchery ironic in this case.

Wish you all the best with your babies!

5. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Interesting. This news story states that the CDC did not release the name of the hatchery, and I didn't find anything on the story on the CDC web page. Admittedly, it can be a difficult page to navigate, as I do not frequent it.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/06/10/salmonella-outbreak-tied-to-chicks-ducklings/

Bottom line, was your hands, and wash your kids hands. The story said half of the victims were age five or younger.

Mark

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] I emailed Mt Healthy last night about 10 p.m. from their website. They sent me a pretty standard note back, but they did it less than 15 hours after I emailed them, and since I saw their name as the one released, I am at the minimum impressed with their willingness to respond to me the consumer (one of thousands I am sure) very quickly. Basically, they said, aside from wash wash wash, there is nothing that needs to be done. I knew that this was a possibility with any poultry, just wish it hadn't happened, but it is always possible. Just wanted to give atleast a kudos to the hatchery to responding to my email so timely and nicely.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So, are they not NPIP? I didn't see that listed on their home page like most hatcheries.

8. lampe731

lampe731 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I also found this article interesting : http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...10/salmonella-linked-to-hatchery.html?sid=101

It states that the salmonella strain that was infecting people was not found at the hatchery.... Interesting. But still worried. My chicks are from Mt. Healthy. Got them last day of Feb.

Are there any outward signs of salmonella that I could watch for in the chickens?

(Also this is my first post.. yay [​IMG] )

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
  10. lampe731

lampe731 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks![​IMG] That site was helpful it was right to the point. Alot of stuff I found was all jibberish to me. I'm still wondering if they will successfuly say it was Mt. Healthy's fault...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by