salmonella risks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sealcovechickens, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sealcovechickens

sealcovechickens New Egg

May 27, 2010
    How do we know if our chickens carry salmonella. Mine are all healthy and active, but the press information say that the chickens carry the salmonella disease. Is there an easy way to check this out with our small flock?

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I was wondering the same thing. Cause I'm selling my eggs and don't want ppl to get sick. I keep my pens and stuff clean.

3. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I read in an article that it can be transmitted via rodent droppings. This makes a lot of sense, considering the amount and conditions I'm sure the feed is stored in. Plus, I'm sure there are rodents in the laying cages as well. Nast-ola [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Properly cooked eggs will kill salmonella; however, to verify that your birds are free of the salmonella, get NPIP certified, and your flock will be tested on a yearly basis.

5. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    How do we do that?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You will have to contact your state Agriculture Department and ask the procedure for your state. It is a federal program administered by each state, and they all do it a bit differently. The minimum number of testing requirements are the same, but some states opt for additional tests. Some states certify individuals to test birds, others only have state employees do the testing. In some states it is free, it other states it is costly.

7. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    First off salmonella is not a disease, it is a bacteria so the press is once again wrong.

It can cause an infection in people that have compromised immune systems or in people with normal immune systems if they get a large enough dose of the bacteria.

The infection which in severe cases can cause death is more likely to cause gastrointestinal symptoms.

If you properly prepare chicken or their eggs and observe proper kitchen sanitation it is extremely unlikely that even if you have a large number of the bacteria you'll have any trouble.

The problem comes when someone plays games in cooking their food or after they have cooked it in not keeping it at the proper temperatures and free from other contamination.

I worked in a commercial kitchen and there was a full protocol that had to be followed for any meat, dairy, produce, or egg product. That there are rules doesn't always mean they get followed.

The customers sometimes got mad because we wouldn't do soft boiled eggs, or eggs sunny side up, etc.... people are strange and seem to find ways to attain the coveted Darwin Award.

I find it interesting that out of all of the eggs (over 500 million now) being recalled there are only around a thousand cases of salmonellosis (which is the name of the disease caused by the salmonella bacteria) linked to those eggs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  8. texastom

texastom New Egg

Apr 26, 2009
    Is there something we need to do to our eggs to limit the salmonella risk ? All I've ever done is brush off the pine shavings and in the fridge they go. Never have had a problem.

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:When you use the eggs you need to properly cook them, properly store the eggs, and clean any surfaces they touch. Which BTW is true for any animal product.

Also you need to make certain that you aren't the cause of any contamination by properly washing your hands before preparing any food. Salmonella bacteria is present in most environments, it isn't just a chicken or chicken egg issue.

They need to attain the proper temperature. This means you cook them until the yolks and whites are solid if you are serving them alone or sliced or mashed in salads.

ETA:

If the eggs are going into any other recipe it is likely that the proper temperature is met by following that recipe, there is one exception that I'm aware of and that is old recipes for eggnog, they didn't always call for heat treatment. Eggnog should always be prepared using a recipe that calls for cooking.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Just as foodborne illness affects the immunocomprimised more than healthy folk, it will affect the host the same. Stressed, ill, poor conditions etc will allow nasties to grow better.

Keep your chickens in a clean(ish) dry environment, good airflow, clean food and water. Don't introduce chickens or food from an untested source.

Chickens and other critters carry various Salmonella bacteria in their gut, just as many critters (and people!) carry E.coli - we need it to digest our food [​IMG] Most of it is harmless, it's just a few strains that can cause a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by