Salmonella Vs Coccidiosis in chicks

Moonchick13

Hatching
Sep 22, 2020
Hello there!

I am not new to chicks but this batch of chicks I am raising have had more issues... I have a group in the brooder ( a large very "brooder") mostly bought from a local store, they range from about 4 weeks to 6 weeks, so not tiny. I know they need to be moved soon to a larger area but the weather is cooling and I worried about the littlest one. We have had two other chicks pass away one in the first week I had them and another a couple of weeks ago after being cold in the rain outside ( I have had them about one month).

Last night one of my 12 chicks in the brooder, a buff orpington was found dead, my husband had noticed she was sleepy looking but otherwise had not seemed sick. I checked on the chicks again before bed and noticed the other orpington (oddly) was looking droopy and not running about like the other chicks do, I picked her up and noticed a very pasty whitish butt, which I proceeded to wash. The other chick who passed did not have a very pasty butt like hers... I decided to give them all corid in their water, and dipped her beak to get her to drink some. She is currently still alive and resting under heat lamp.

I was doing some googling and saw that due to the whitish pasty butt Salmonella Pullorum could be a possible issue. I read this article https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/All-about-Pullorum-disease-H260.aspx and drew comfort from the diseases that are commonly mistaken for it, one of which was Coccidiosis, which was my original suspicion.

I am terrified of Salmonella! I have a 9 month old baby and now I am very paranoid that somehow we are going to track it over to her if we have an active infection with it. I was somewhat apprehensive about even getting chicks at this time because of her (more interaction with the chicks than my established flock that free ranges). Also worried about my original flock somehow catching this.

I am wondering If I should be very concerned about Salmonella and if anyone thinks it is likely the problem or wether it could be the coccidiosis or something else? Should I send the dead bird somewhere for testing?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about salmonella. Where are you located?
Sometimes chicks just fail to thrive. The 4-6 week old chick that was lethargic and died could be coccidiosis - it is the right age.
The breeder flock/s your chicks came from had to be tested negative for Pullorum-Typhoid in order to be able to sell eggs or chicks from them.
Just make sure the bedding is bone dry. Coccidia protozoa need moisture to continue their life cycle.
The white coating on feces is the urates - since birds don't urinate.
A good probiotic like Gro2Max tends to solve the pasted vent issue.

Thank you for the response!

I'm in central Texas, it has been a little rainy here lately... I think it is time for them to graduate to a new area, but not with the existing flock yet and I was a little worried about their bedding, though we have been regularly changing it and water ect. I will be going to feed store today and will look for that pro biotic! The second chick is looking a bit perkier, hopefully all is well.

I think it is only available online at places like Amazon, E-bay and Meyer hatchery besides the manufacturer. Just make sure the water fount can't wet the bedding.

Should you lose more birds, a necropsy at one of your poultry labs will identify the cause.
Texas has 4 labs.
Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd
West Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road College Station,
Texas 77843-4471
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580

Back
Top Bottom