salmonella

imcoryy

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
i was just wondering as i read on article online, when buy a chick does it carry the risk of having salmonella? how can i prevent myself from getting this with the handling of chicks?

also i plan on buying some chicks in the spring from the local tractor supply store, do they sell specific breeds or will the chicks i buy be a random assortment of breeds?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

Hand washing after handling your chicks/chickens or doing the coop chores and cooking your eggs is all you need to do.

Really no different than you should handle any pet care. Just make sure if you do have children, you teach them to always wash their hands.

And don't kiss the chickens...
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

Hand washing after handling your chicks/chickens or doing the coop chores and cooking your eggs is all you need to do.

Really no different than you should handle any pet care. Just make sure if you do have children, you teach them to always wash their hands.

And don't kiss the chickens...
big_smile.png
....kissing them i the best part (not serious)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sunflour has you on a good path with the link provided. Basically this bacteria is present during the hatching process. So yes some chicks can be carrying it on their feathers. As they grow and molt out these feathers they lose this bacteria. Just practice good hygene and wash your hands after handling them, don't kiss them either and you should be fine.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I hug and kiss my flock. But I always wash my hands after touching them, their eggs or their coop.

Back
Top Bottom