salpingitis ((( Cull the entire coop ?))

gracielynn

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Western Iowa
:(Sad to say our old Henrietta , 7 yr old .. has Salpingitis .. walking like a penguin.. but still eating.
Another hen also has developed symptoms.
we plan on putting them both down..

will this spread thru the entire coop ?

DO we have to cull the other 6 hens & 2 roosters ??

one chick just hatched one chick.. is it in danger ? ?

HELP .. hate to kill all of them !

Are there shots we should be giving the healthy hens.

do you vaccinate on a regular basis or add vitamins to their water as adult ckens ?

Salpingitis in a human woman would be like a reproductive system inflammation I think. Do they have an infection too? It seems unlikely that a reproductive issue would cause you to have to cull your entire flock. Did a vet diagnose the salpingitis?

THANKS for getting back to me..

No. I cked in my Raising Chickens guide..

Salpingitis (oviduct infection , caused by e. coli ) failure to lay 7 death.

I guess when I read the E.coli bit it scared me.. & Having two hens with it.. bothers me a great deal.

We keep a very clean coop.. too.

any thoughts ?

Lisa

Lisa,

I think I would fill out the questionairre in the sticky at the top of the Emergencies and Diseases Index and post the answers in this thread. I haven't been on here a very long time and I've only had chickens a few years but e-coli as the cause seems quite unlikely to me and some of the people who have extensive experience with chickens may be able to give you some advice that helps you solve your problem without culling. This sounds like it could be internal laying or being eggbound which there are plenty of people on here that have experience dealing with it. Hope that helps!
Jenny

1) What type of bird , age and weight.>>>>>>>> 7 yrs old.. Buff Orbington , slightly heavy..
2) What is the behavior, exactly. >> straetching her neck & head up , Looks liek her craw is enlarged. Still eatting.
Other hen is a mix.. a bit smaller.. average weight.. Swelled neck & slight stretching of her head / neck also.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?>>>> 2 to 3 days
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. >>>>>> No
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.>> none. except we haven't been giving them oyster shells.. egg shells getting a bit thin.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.>>> pretty normal. layer ration.. free range.. so bugs , grass.. & our treat to them is bits of bread.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. >>>>>>> both hens.. Very runny

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?>>>>>> none..

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? >>>>>>>> not sure.. depends on what is wrong.. not intent on spending a lot of money.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No pics No injury to show.
But coudl get pic friday of neck and head stretching ..

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use . >>>>>>>We have a very clean coop.. 8 X 6... two windows for ventalation.
we use cedar wood shavings. on the floor & boxes. Several boxes..
total of 8 hens .. 2 roosters.. & One new chick.. :_)

Lisa,
I'm thinking this is sour crop OR an impacted crop. Try searching for those in the search box. There are many descriptions on how each feels and what the individuals symptoms are. I also think you could have a problem with the cedar shavings they are bad for birds and can cause respiratory problems. You might have a couple of issues going on but they can be treated by you. I'm just reading on my phone so I can't get the links for you - maybe someone else will come up with them or some good solid advice about a diagnosis or how to treat.
Good Luck!
Jenny

thanks jenny...
Ok.. will go ck .. we usually use pine shavings..
So I'll ck.. seems like we had cedar last time..

I'll ck on the other.. hopefully someone has posted about it..

Thanks SO Much..!
Lisa

I agree with some of the other comments - you're not seeing enough symptoms to settle on salpingitis and resort to culling. Not even sure it's sour/impacted crop, but here's what I would do to check that possibility:

- Put these two birds in a separate area together for the next 24-48 hours
- Use a syringe or eyedropper and give both birds about 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil - just drops at a time so they don't choke
- In a 1 quart waterer (or bowl) add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar for their drinking water
- No food for 12 hours - only water - no free ranging
- Wait and watch

After 12 hours with no food, if crops are still enlarged, I would suspect impacted/sour crop. Treat accordingly.

If crops have reduced in size, then you need to watch for other symptoms and consider other possible reasons for their condition.

For the next 24 hours:
- Morning and night, feed the girls a mush of 1/2 cup of their regular feed mixed with warm water and 3 Tbsp. of plain yogurt, and two Tums (with calcium) tablets crushed and mixed in. You can also give them diced cooked eggs. Continue with the vinegar water. No other foods, treats, or free ranging.
- Wait and watch. Particularly, see if there is any improvement in the diarrhea and eggshells or signs that their condition is worsening.

If you're not seeing improvement after 48 hours, re-post with any additional information on symptoms you've observed. In the meantime, I encourage you to provide oyster shell to your hens in addition to the layer feed. If you continue seeing thin shells, sprinkle the oyster shell right in their feed ration.

thank YOU SO MUCH !

I will have to work on that tom.. I don't know what we would have done with out you help ..

I can put them in the old playhouse.. right away in the morning..
then get to town to get the tums.. & apple cider vinegar & olive oil..
I have the yogurt ..

thanks SO much ..
My hubby just came in & I read him your suggestions ..
(he knows my daughter & I will do it )

he said You two, you must really love your ckens :+)

We do :)

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom