Salpingitis or not? Mystery condition

Susie Seagrave

Songster
8 Years
Jul 29, 2015
Aegina, Greece
I have four much-loved Girls but two-year old 'Cantona', who was an excellent layer, seems to have a problem with her poo, and a lack of eggs. Although she looks like an active, healthy hen, my first thought was Salpingitis, having lost a hen to it some years ago, but there's been no lash egg. I can't identify what the problem is, or what might be causing it and I'd appreciate any advice. I should say that I live on a small Greek island and medication for chickens is very difficult to get.

Here's the timeline:

August 2019: Started first big moult - continued until December. Droppings became lighter brown and white, runny and a bit smelly, but she remained lively and active. December 2019: She lost some weight. Evidence of worms -I gave her Levamisole, but didn't completely eradicate the worms until January 2020.
January 2020: She finally resumed laying, put on weight again and looked healthy, but droppings still runny.
March 2020: Laying about once a week.
Mid-April 2020, Stopped laying completely up to now.
May 2020: Having lost a hen to Salpingitis years ago, expected to see a lash egg. Gave her a course of Baytril. (No lash egg ) Poo still runny, more urates than before.
June 2020: Worms again - gave 25 mg Levaplix. No more worms! (All the Girls now moulting heavily).
July 2020: Mites in coop - full eradication. No mites evident on Cantona but treated her anyway. Has sat in nesting box several times but no egg. Moult now easing off but increase in urates vs poo continues.

So, what do you make of it? Every morning, I check her droppings in the hen house, and they've continued to be either very soft or runny, but no trace of any blood. She seems to pass A LOT more urates now than before, both inside the coop and outside, so I take extra care to clean everything daily. She is now looking healthy, she's active, interested and sociable with a bright comb, and although always a light bird, is a good weight. Her poo doesn't appear to have any coagulated pus material in it at all. I will take some photos of the poo and the amount of urates she produces and post them tomorrow. For a bird that looks so healthy, I can't understand the poo situation. None of my other Girls have this problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Cantona.jpg

I didn't understand a thing:
The poop is runny, and soft. But has it some strange color, like yellow or green, or white..?
Have you recently changed the feeding? how do you feed them?
Good afternoon!

Ciao! No. I haven't changed the food at all and only this one hen has this problem - not the others.... They are fed wet mash in the mornings, and have free access to corn and grains during the day. When there are any vegetable scraps or greens, they get a small amount of those.

All the other hens' poo is like....normal chicken poo, but Cantona's is sometimes light brown/white or sometimes a bit green but always very soft with A LOT of urates. Have a look at these photos:

IMG_20200805_105743 (Medium).jpg IMG_20200805_105807 (Medium).jpg IMG_20200805_105844 (Medium).jpg

There's no blood in the poo and no worms either. It's just like chicken diarrhoea - and no eggs for a long time. But she's so active and looks so healthy. I don't know why she has this problem. Any ideas? Grazie.

Back
Top Bottom