Salpingitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MorrisChickens, Sep 25, 2016.

1. MorrisChickens

MorrisChickens New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    My lady Omelette is almost 4 years old and I think she has Salpingitis. She has very runny poop and she isn't strong enough to fight me when I pick her up. I am giving her a bath and I hope it helps and I am also going to give her some molasses because it won't hurt just in case it is constipation. I checked to see if she was egg bound and I didn't feel an egg. Does anyone know if there is something I can do that doesn't involve hundreds of dollars on surgery and medication? Maybe a home remedy of some kind? She is also not eating a whole lot or drinking and has gotten very skinny. When she walks she wobbles a little and sometimes when our rooster gets on her she can't get back up. I hope I can find some way of helping her, she was our first batch of chicks.[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. That indeed could be a disorder of her reproductive system, including salpingitis, internal laying, oviduct cancer, or egg yolk peritonitis, all of which are common in hens. You may want to place her in a basket or crate on puppy pads or an old towel to observe her droppings, and her intake of food and water. Chickens will usually eat chopped egg, tuna, or wet feed mixed with a small amount of yogurt or cottage cheese when they are sick. Vitamins with electrolytes found in SaveAChick or other brands may be good for her. Unfortunately, no cures are available, and antibiotics may not help. Keep her as comfortable as possible, and if you can do a necropsy on her after she dies or send her in to your state vet for one, it may tell you a lot by looking at her organs. Here is some reading for you:
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

From the Merck Manual:

Topics in Disorders of the Reproductive System

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. MorrisChickens

MorrisChickens New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you so much, her poop is runny and she won't drink but she has been eating. Is it possible for a chicken to have a tumor? My mom thinks she could have a tumor. It doesn't feel like a tumor but I'm not an expert.

4. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    It's possible she could have a tumor but short of actually (feeling) one only an ultrasound could diagnose this. I'm going to be honest with you hear, your hen needs a vet, antibiotics, pain medication like metacam and to be evaluated to figure out what sort of laying disorder she's got...you say you think she's laying lass eggs?, could you please post a picture of her egg?

5. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    She may be able to be saved depending on what sort of reproductive issue she's got and weather or not it's in the advanced stages but you do need a vet, idealy avian exotics and depending on the issue she may be able to have an implant placed inside her (under her skin) like microchipping a dog but it will cost a few hundred dollars and she won't lay anymore eggs either so this is really only if she's a "pet"

6. MorrisChickens

MorrisChickens New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Omelette died about 4 days ago, she was comfortable but sadly I was at school. Thank you for all the help

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am sorry that you lost your hen, Omelette.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by