Salpingitis??

1dog1cat6chicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Southwestern PA
You may remember my issues in November with Esther, one of my Easter Eggers.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...one-hen-not-getting-off-roost-in-a-m.1553656/

Well, since then, when I gave her a course of fish mox, she has got through a molt, and has also recovered from her acute illness. She's regrown her feathers, her comb and wattle are nice and red, and she seems to be acting normally.

However, I still don't think she's 'right'. :(
--Every morning, right below where she roosts, there is a lot of very loose poop which is sometimes watery. You can see in that thread I referenced above, there was also, awhile back, a weird yellowish thing on the poop hammock (lash egg??), and more recently some pinkish bits in the poop.
--I am convinced she isn't laying at all. We have another EE, so they both lay green eggs, but I am almost positive that only Martha is laying--not Esther.

I have done a little reading on salpingitis, and I am wondering if this is what she has. BUT, a lot of what I've read has said this disease is basically a death sentence. If this is the case, how is it that she *seems* fine (aside from the poop issues, of course)--she's acting normally, she runs to get her share of their daily mealworm treat...etc. And of all the articles I've read on salpingitis, none mentions anything about poop that isn't normal.

Does anyone have some thoughts on this? Could it be something else??

Also--Esther is about two years old.

I had a silkie who had salphingitis who laid a lash egg and had weird poops most of the time. It was always a little watery and had pink bits it in at times. She never laid an egg again after getting it and she’d act pretty normal most of the time, maintaining second in the pecking order, scratching, dust bathing, etc. She lived for 2 more years after laying her first lash egg and becoming sick with it. During winter she’d act a little more off than normal, but this winter she didn’t make it. I read that it was a death sentence too but was super surprised that she made it another 2 years.

Last edited:
Oh my, good to hear! It sounds a lot like Esther. That’s her, on the right.
ACEC381C-BA15-4957-9724-4483E0B5740C.jpeg

Just wondering at what point you euthanize due to this problem. Esther frequently looks like she feels miserable, and today I saw her clearly straining to poop and just a little bit came out. She clearly doesn’t feel good, and will obviously never be productive again….I feel sorry for her and don’t want to prolong the inevitable…..

Thoughts?

I think that you would be the judge of when it is time. I do it when they look miserable, have a poor quality of life, quit eating and drinking, or when the others start pecking them. So sorry, but chickens with salpingitis can be common, and we must be willing to help them when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom