1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SALT and other scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenBarn, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ChickenBarn

ChickenBarn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Eden, Idaho
    I have been doing alot of reading on what I can and can't feed my chickens. I have found most of my answers on BYC and for this I am thankful. But I cannot seem to find a clear answer on SALT. Not that I would feed pure salt to my chickens, but what about salt in food scraps? For example shredded beef with BBQ sauce, it has salt in it, or cooked rice with "salt to taste". Please understand I have no intention of turning my chickens into a garbage disposal, rather I want to diversify thier feed when it is available. I think composting is great, but free feed is better. I am going through a 50lb bag of feed every 1 1/2 weeks !!!!

Just for information I have 5 pullets @ 10 months (laying) and 8 others at 3 months old (not laying). I have them on Nutrena Premium Layer Feed (crumble) and oyster shells on the side for my older girls. They have 1/2 acre of "free range" area but they still eat like PIGS !!!!

Any comments or suggestions would be appriciated greatly [​IMG]

2. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    They eat like pigs because they are growing like weeds. I don't think salt in food will hurt them, just make sure they have plenty of water avaliable. Just don't make salty stuff a major part of their diet. And watch out feeding them meat, I have found its the quickest way to attract things that like to eat chickens!

3. ChickenBarn

ChickenBarn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Eden, Idaho
    Thank You....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by