Salt Lake City, UT Newspaper Article About Chicken Owners

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jorgey, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jorgey

jorgey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Utah
    Hopefully some of you may enjoy this article. I find it really interesting how some cities, like Salt Lake have no problem with raising chickens in your backyard, while other cities and towns like Sanford, NC are trying to fine people and take away their rights.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9733710

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting no one I know brought it to my attention...

estimates more than 300 people in the Salt Lake Valley have chicken coops. Some of those chickens undoubtedly fly under the radar. Only 29 domestic-fowl permits are registered in Salt Lake City.

301 but technically I am in Murray.....​

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Darn, I lived in SLC for 5 years and I never knew I could've had chickens! [​IMG]

btw hiya, eggzettera. I lived in Holladay -- 8th East and 4300 South. [​IMG]

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey ya Amazon, your close, 5300 South 700 West.....so you don't have any chickens? Or are you saying that Holladay allows & you knew that.... [​IMG]

I have lots of roosters, pssst hey buddy wanna buy one? [​IMG]

5. mango1612

mango1612 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    That's what drives me nuts about the girl in Sanford's situation...I know where it is, live about 30 minutes away and...it's small, not a big metropolitan area, growing yes...but so many other "real" cities allow chickens!

6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I lived in an up-scale neighborhood in Draper which is right outside of Salt Lake. I debated a little coop with a few girls for a while. We had a real high privacy fence. The yard was gorgeous. I have some pics of it in snow somewhere. Should have got the chickens after all... I know you can see them on my myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/colts_page

You can go to my photos if you have an account and they will be in the album Winter Wonderland.

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Hiya eggs --

I don't live there any more! Knoxville, where I am, doesn't allow chickens within city limits -- but I'm in the middle of moving to property outside of Lebanon, zoned agricultural. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by