1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salt Lake County chickens.....article in Tribune

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by utahmethodist, Aug 11, 2008.

1. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    This is in this morning's Salt Lake Tribune. Chickens are legal in the city but (ironically) not in some of the outlying communities in the Salt Lake Valley. But there is a big movement underway to change that.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10163492

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Always gratifying to see the movement towards sustainable living and self reliance growing. Thanks for the link.

3. utahmethodist

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Make sure when you read the article you look at all the comments shown at the bottom. Most people responding to this article are fairly normal but this one just made me laugh:

You don't need a rooster to get hens to lay eggs, they have chickenfeed now that impregnates them......so there's no excuse to have a darn noisy rooster in a suburban yard.

[​IMG]

What an idiot!

We sure produce some smart ones here in Utah.

[​IMG]

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    It's cuz of government schools. I lived in Utah for 20 years, but I went to school in Kalifornia so I'm even worse off [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. utahmethodist

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    There's a follow-up column in today's paper in response to yesterday's article I linked to above. Thank goodness Salt Lake City has a progressive-thinking mayor.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10172315

6. medicmandan

medicmandan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    I saw that article and also found some of the comments, umm, interesting I guess you could say.

There have been several articles regarding backyard chickens in the local papers lately. Interest must be increasing.

I just moved to West Jordan and as best I can tell it's ok for me to have chickens as long as they aren't noise or "foul" the air. So I'm going forward with my plans to add 6-8 hens in the spring.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    YeaY! Good Link! Love that comment about the feed that impregnates chickens [​IMG]

I also like that they said the sale of chickens was up 20% regardless if laws have been changed or not. And that this is NOT going away!!!!!

8. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by