1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigclucker, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bigclucker

bigclucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    I bought some Nutrena scratch today. First time I've given my 12 hens any scratch. Noticed it said on the bag to add salt, only problem is that it doesn't say how much or what kind.

Any suggestions?

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I never heard of that and never thought of it either. If I was to give mine salt, it would be rock salt, maybe crushed up some. I never heard of doing that though either. Rock salt has lots of trace minerals that are not present in table salt. If I had a grinder with stone parts intead of the steel parts mne has, I would grind rock salt for table use and not buy any other kind because of the trace minerals.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't feed scratch so I may not be your best resource. All animals need some salt, including chickens. However, chickens do not need much salt. I personally would not add any salt, thinking it is too easy to give them too much.

You might find an e-mail address or phone number to contact Nutrena or whoever makes Nutrena and ask them. I certainly would not trust the people at the feed store for this one. Ading any salt would make me very nervous.

Good luck!!!

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Never feed chickens NaCl (salt). Unlike seabirds (have a special organ) & mammals, chickens lack the ability to rid their bodies of it fast enough (and it builds up easily), and it can kill them.

5. bigclucker

bigclucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    thanks for the advice. seemed odd. i will try to get a photo of the bag and post it here for you guys to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by