Salt?

bigclucker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
I bought some Nutrena scratch today. First time I've given my 12 hens any scratch. Noticed it said on the bag to add salt, only problem is that it doesn't say how much or what kind.

Any suggestions?

I never heard of that and never thought of it either. If I was to give mine salt, it would be rock salt, maybe crushed up some. I never heard of doing that though either. Rock salt has lots of trace minerals that are not present in table salt. If I had a grinder with stone parts intead of the steel parts mne has, I would grind rock salt for table use and not buy any other kind because of the trace minerals.

I don't feed scratch so I may not be your best resource. All animals need some salt, including chickens. However, chickens do not need much salt. I personally would not add any salt, thinking it is too easy to give them too much.

You might find an e-mail address or phone number to contact Nutrena or whoever makes Nutrena and ask them. I certainly would not trust the people at the feed store for this one. Ading any salt would make me very nervous.

Good luck!!!

Never feed chickens NaCl (salt). Unlike seabirds (have a special organ) & mammals, chickens lack the ability to rid their bodies of it fast enough (and it builds up easily), and it can kill them.

thanks for the advice. seemed odd. i will try to get a photo of the bag and post it here for you guys to see.

Back
Top Bottom