salted corn?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dreamer5577, Jun 12, 2011.

1. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My sister didn't finish her corn on the cob at dinner and asked to give it to the chickens. I told her it was ok. But later she mentioned there was butter and salt all over it, but by the time I went to get it back from the chickens...it was pretty much all gone. So.. is it bad if they consume the butter an salt? I'm just really concerned because I was reading the chicken treat list and when it said popcorn it said no butter no salt. [​IMG]

2. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    A partial ear of corn, presumably split up between several chickens? While it probably wouldn't be a good thing to give them regularly, I wouldn't worry about it this one time...and next time, just give it a quick rinse to remove most of the butter and salt.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    They'll be all right.

I wouldn't give them a daily diet of nothing but foods that heavy in salt, but the occasional salty snack won't hurt them. Mine occasionally get into the salt bowls in my goat pens and help themselves to a generous portion of salt, and they're fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by