1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salted Ham

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by quercus21, Dec 13, 2009.

1. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I was wondering if anyone has dealt/cooked/prepared a Johnston County Ham. One was given to me the other day and I have never prepared one. From what I understand, it is dried and salted. Do I soak it, if so for how long. It's a 10lb ham. There is cooking instruction on the package, but doesn't say there is a need for soaking/leaching the salt. The boss(wife - she's a nurse) and my doctor is going to love this. Ham flavored salt? Is it going to be really salty? When I make corn beef, I usually boil it a few times to leach out the salt etc. Is this what I should do with the ham?
    Thanks
    Kaj

2. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I have never cooked a whole cured ham; we usually have ours sliced and I do soak the slices over night. I also trim the "rind" off. Therefore I would think that you would want to soak it. It is very salty..some more than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by